- VWPD Campus Safety Video (opens on YouTube)
- VWPD Adapted Safety Video (opens on YouTube)
- VWPD Video Script Document (PDF)
- Campus & Workplace Violence Prevention Policy
Please Note: Any person who knowingly activates any college emergency notification system with the intent to commit a purposeful and unnecessary alarm such as a hoax, prank, gag or stunt will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Additionally, persons committing such alarms, will face immediate expulsion from the college and full disciplinary action under the rules of student conduct.
- Code of Virginia: § 18.2-461. Falsely summoning or giving false reports to law-enforcement officials.
- Code of Virginia: § 18.2-212. Calling or summoning emergency medical services vehicle or firefighting apparatus without just cause; maliciously activating fire alarms in public buildings; venue.
- Virginia Western Community College: Academic and Student Affairs Student Conduct Policy Number I-21
Whether you’re a student, a visitor, faculty or staff we want your time at VWCC to be enjoyable and safe. With that in mind we’ve listed a few basic cautions and reminders to help ensure that no one gets hurt or becomes the victim of a crime.
- If you have a friend who is taking the same classes, or ones in a nearby building, walk together to and from classes.
- Please do not leave purses or other property unattended. It only takes a moment for someone to grab the item and walk away.
- Always be careful when traversing Colonial Avenue at the crosswalk between Lot #7 and north campus- never assume that traffic will stop for you even though the pedestrian crosswalk light is in your favor. Remember if the crosswalk light is showing a red hand at least one of the vehicle traffic lights will be green.
- VWCC is always expanding and improving the facilities on campus, so be aware of construction zones and areas where other work is taking place.
- Obey the posted speed limits in parking lots, and on the roads surrounding the campus- even if it means getting here a little early to avoid rushing to class!
Our full-time officers are all First Aid certified, so don’t hesitate to call us if you think you may be injured, or even if you just don’t feel well. If it turns out you need more thorough attention than we can provide, we will activate an EMS unit to assist you.
If you should notice a suspicious person or an unsafe condition here on campus, we encourage you to report it to us. If you have any doubt about whether we should check on someone/something, it is better to call and allow us to look into it. The number to call is 857-7979.
The VWCC Intervention Counselor office is available for anyone who may want to get advisement about issues such as substance abuse, sexual assault/harassment, and other sensitive situations.
For information regarding school inclement weather delays/closings stay tuned to a local television/radio channel.
Icy and Blocked Walkways
It is sometimes necessary for the college to cordon off or barricade areas from foot traffic due to very dangerous icy conditions. These areas pose a very high potential for walkers to slip and fall and potentially incur some serious injuries. BE ADVISED that any area blocked by caution tape, orange cones, or other barriers are areas designated to be off limits to pedestrian traffic.
Numerous student and staff members have been observed stepping over and under the barricades, disregarding the caution the college has placed. Several of those who disregarded the barrier slipped and fell hard on the ice. Persons being caught crossing these barriers risk not only serious injury, but student and employee conduct measures. Please obey the warnings and barricades that are placed for your safety, so serious injuries can be avoided.
- Campus Police Home
- About the Department
- Mission Statement/Code of Ethics
- Annual Clery Security Report
- Campus Security Authority (CSA)
- Threat Assessment/CARE Team
- Crisis Management
- Risk Management
- Safety Tips
- Health Safety
- Workplace Violence & Weapons
- Sex Offenders
- Feedback/Inquiries/Anonymous Report
College Services Building
3054 Colonial Ave., SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
We use the VW Mass Notification System to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency. Get more info and register!