Welcome! Thank you for your interest in opportunities for high school aged students at Virginia Western Community College.
The Virginia Western Dual Enrollment program (VCCS Policy 6.6.3) is committed to providing high-school age students who can demonstrate college readiness with the opportunity to complete college-level classes at their local high schools, on the VWCC main or satellite campus and virtually though the VWCC on-line courses.
Students should check with their school division to determine if the campus and online classes satisfy requirements for high school graduation.
Criteria for Participation in Dual Enrollment
- The student submits an Application for Admission to VWCC.
- The student is in 11th or 12th grade. Students at the 9th or 10th grade level shall be assessed on a case-by-case basis to determine college readiness.
- Students have permission by the high school principal or designee. Homeschool students have the permission of the parent.
- The student demonstrates readiness for each college-level credit-bearing course in which they want to enroll. Please refer to Enrollment Admission Criteria.
- The student must meet all course pre-/co-requisites as listed in the VCCS Master Course File and any criteria established by VWCC. Please refer to the online college catalog to review course descriptions for pre- or concurrent requirements.
NOTE: High school and homeschool students ARE NOT eligible to enroll in development or direct placement co-requisite English and Math courses.
- Students interested in taking classes on campus or online through the Dual Enrollment program or Regional Academy must have a computer that meets the computer access requirements required by the college.
- High school students may have the opportunity to complete their General Studies Associate Degree or Uniform Certificate of General Studies concurrent with high school graduation. Students should contact their high school guidance department for further information and refer to the Governor’s Scholar Program HB1184 Plans for their school division.
- Dual Enrollment students are limited to 18 college credit hours per semester. Students are encouraged to think carefully about other high school classes, work and activities before committing to the maximum number of credits. For most dual enrollment students 3 – 9 credit hours per semester is recommended.
- All students taking online classes that are required to use the VWCC Testing Center or other proctored locations must show government issued photo ID before testing can be administered.
At the High School
Dual enrollment classes are taught at the high school by VWCC credentialed high-school instructors. Enrollment is submitted to the college by the high school guidance department. Tuition charges are paid to the high school. Classes follow the Dual Enrollment Calendar that has been established for the school division. Student requests to add, drop or withdraw from these classes must be submitted by the high school. Please review that calendar carefully for add, drop and withdrawal deadlines that may impact tuition refunds and the students permanent college record.
Tuition at the high school may be significantly lower than the campus standard tuition rate based on services provided by the school division.
Courses taught by VWCC faculty online or on-campus require the standard tuition rate.
All classes taught on campus or on-line through VWCC follow the Academic Calendar posted for the college. Students must register for these classes through the college’s Enrollment Center. Students must bring the Dual Enrollment High School/Home School Enrollment Approval Form with them.
- Dual Enrollment Home
- Register for Dual Enrollment
- Campus Online Orientation
- Governor’s Scholar Program (HB1184)
- Blue Ridge Partnership Funding
- Regional Academy
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Dual Enrollment Forms
- Enrollment Admission Criteria
- Tutoring & Student Services
- Disability Services
- Grades, Transcripts, Drops, Withdrawals & Records
- Information for High Schools
Dr. Kathryn H. Beard
Dual Enrollment Coordinator
Fishburn Hall F125C
3093 Colonial Ave SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
We use the VW Mass Notification System to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency. Get more info and register!