Students should discuss with their guidance department their interest in registering for a dual enrollment class. Before you can enroll in any classes, you must apply to Virginia Western and complete the Virginia Placement Testing in Mathematics and English.

Apply to Virginia Western

Please take a few moments to review the VCCS Application Tutorial (PDF)

When you are ready, click the APPLY NOW button at the top of the webpage to begin the application. You will need to have access to your e-mail when you apply, as a verification code will be sent to you.

If you have previously applied to VWCC for summer programs or dual enrollment classes, you will need to know your VWCC Student ID Number (Emplid). If you do not know it, or your account has become inactive, you can look it up here.

After You Apply

1. Student Identification

When you have completed the application, you will be emailed your VWCC Student ID Number (Emplid), MyVWCC log-in information and temporary password.

  • Write this down and put it in a safe place.
  • You will need this information to register for classes, take placement tests, obtain your transcript, or any other communication with the college.
  • It is very important that you keep your VWCC EMPLID number ALWAYS.

2. Virginia Placement Testing

As a high school aged student, you need to demonstrate college readiness before you can enroll in any classes.

If you were not able to take the Virginia Placement Testing (VPT) prior to the COVID pandemic, you or your school’s Counseling Office will need to submit your high school GPA for consideration.

Students who would like to take a course that transfers to a four-year college/university must have a High School GPA of 3.0 or higher or meet the benchmark scores in SAT, ACT, PSAT and have passed the Algebra I SOL. Additional math requirements may be needed for STEM classes (i.e. Biology, Chemistry, Pre-Calc).

Review the chart here for Admission score requirements.

Required Forms

Please complete these forms and submit them to your high school dual enrollment counselor to be picked up by the college, or send them directly to the college.

All Students:

Students in 9th or 10th grade:

All Students taking classes on the VWCC Campus:

Register for Dual Enrollment Classes

High school student class registration is submitted through your high school guidance department. First, you must apply to Virginia Western (see above). After you apply:

  1. Discuss with your guidance department which class(es) you wish to register for.
  2. Complete Virginia Placement Testing. This must be completed before you can register.
  3. Provide your testing results and your Student ID Number (Emplid) to your high school guidance department.

The high school guidance department will then submit the enrollment request to the college.

Click here for information on dropping or withdrawing from a course.