The Federal Work-Study program is a need-based program which provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible students to help meet the cost of education. Eligible students may work on-campus or off-campus at a public or private non-profit agency.
Employment is arranged around class schedules. The hourly rate is slightly above federal minimum-wage. Enrollment for 6 or more credits during the period is required. Your work assignment typically will involve no more than 12 hours of work per week, depending upon your enrollment.
If you wish to be considered for this program, follow the steps below. FWS can NOT be applied to your student account to cover tuition.
- Complete the Request for FWS Eligibility Determination.
- Wait to receive confirmation or additional information on your work study eligibility. This information will be found in your SIS Student Message Center.
- Review open positions and apply. Positions will be listed below when available.
- Once you have completed an application(s) you should reach out to the listed supervisor to set up an interview and/or the remaining hiring procedures.
All positions pay $12/hour.
- ASA Office Clerk
- Culinary Arts Assistant (Multiple Positions)
- Cybersecurity Lab Assistant (Multiple Positions)
- Engineering Student Aide
- Library Assistant for the Roanoke Public Library (downtown location) (Multiple Positions)
- Printing Services Office Assistant (Multiple Positions)
- “United for Impact” Student Assistant (Multiple Positions)
- Complete the FWS Position Request form.
- A financial aid representative will reach out to you once your position is posted or to add updates (if needed).
- Follow the hiring and onboarding process provided by HR and payroll.
Chapman Hall C106
3094 Colonial Ave. SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
Mon-Thurs: 8:00 AM-5:00 PM
Fri: 8:00 AM-4:00 PM
We use the VW Mass Notification System to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency. Get more info and register!