Before you apply: Before you apply for financial aid, you should apply for admission to VWCC as a degree/certificate student.
The 2024-2025 FAFSA comes out in December this year. New FAFSA filers – create your Federal Student Aid Account (FSA ID and Password) now so you are ready!
1. Complete the FAFSA
Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as you can. To make sure your financial aid award is posted before the first tuition payment due date you should submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid before the priority deadline (see below). This application needs to be completed each year. There are 3 ways to apply:
- Recommended: Apply online at http://www.studentaid.gov.
- Go to https://studentaid.gov/apply-for-aid/fafsa/filling-out and download a PDF version of the FAFSA to complete and mail or fax for processing.
- Call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) and request a paper application.
Federal School Code: 003760
Ineligible to Complete the FAFSA:
- If you cannot complete the FAFSA and are eligible for in-state tuition you may be eligible to complete the Virginia Alternative State Aid Application (VASA).
- Who should file the VASA?
- Undocumented individuals
- DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) recipients
- Individuals who are otherwise ineligible to complete the FAFSA
- Who should file the VASA?
- VWCC will use the results of your VASA to determine your eligibility for Virginia State Financial Aid Programs and certain institutional aid programs like the Community College Access Program (CCAP).
- If you, your spouse or your parents income has significantly changed since the taxes used to complete the FAFSA were complete, please review the Special Circumstance: Income Review information.
- If you are under 24, and the FAFSA is requiring parental information on the FAFSA, but you do not have contact with your parents, review the Unusual Circumstance: Dependency Review information.
If you are going to apply for financial aid, the priority deadline for application materials is based on your start term:
|Semester Attending VWCC||Priority Date|
|Summer 2023||April 1, 2023|
|Fall 2023||July 1, 2023|
|Spring 2024||October 31, 2023|
The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) can be submitted as early as October 1 of the year prior to the year you wish to begin college. Please submit your FAFSA as early as possible and begin checking your Virginia Western email on a regular basis for communication from the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office will begin sending emails to financial aid applicants in December. Please be sure to select the correct aid year for the FAFSA you are submitting. The aid year is the same as the academic year during which you will be attending Virginia Western and runs fall semester to summer semester.
Students who have submitted all material required by the Financial Aid Office by the priority date will have their financial aid package by the tuition deadline. Students may apply for financial aid after the priority deadline for an upcoming semester. Material received after the deadline will be processed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
2. Check Your VWCC Email Often
Important information and instructions will be delivered to you via your VWCC email account.
3. Respond to Financial Aid Requests for Additional Information
Respond to any financial aid requests you receive from VWCC. Be sure to complete and submit any additional requested materials as soon as you can. Click here for instructions for how to check your Financial Aid To-Do List in SIS.
4. Report Scholarships
Notify the Financial Aid Office of all scholarships received by submitting the Scholarship Information Form (PDF). Additional scholarships and awards require recalculation of your financial aid eligibility, which may result in a reduction of previously-awarded financial aid.
5. Register for Classes
Register for your classes. Click here for the class schedule.
6. Pay for Classes
Log into MyVWCC and check your account balance and your pending financial aid award. If your financial aid award is less than your total account balance, pay your balance by the due date. Check here for payment due dates.
Chapman Hall C106
3094 Colonial Ave. SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
Mon-Thurs: 8:00 AM-5:00 PM
Fri: 8:00 AM-4:00 PM
We use the VW Mass Notification System to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency. Get more info and register!