Please review all the information on this page and bookmark it for future reference. Click the links throughout this page to learn more about a specific item. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Log into MyVWCC to see your financial aid award

Virginia Western does not send financial aid award notices by regular mail. You will receive an email notice to check your Message Center when your financial aid award posts or changes. Your Message Center is at the top of the Student Center page in SIS. You should then review your award in the Financial Aid section on that same page. Instructions can be found here.

Your Eligibility Requirements & Types of Aid Offered

  • Policies and Conditions for Receiving Financial Aid – Financial aid has rules, and it is your responsibility to know them. Use this link to learn important information you need to know about your eligibility for financial aid.
  • Types of Aid Available – Different types of aid have different rules, and it is your responsibility to know them. Use this link to learn about the financial aid types listed on your financial aid award. The descriptions in parenthesis match the description of the award in SIS.
    • Pell Grant (Fed Pell Grant/Fed Pell Summer/2nd Fed Pell Summer)
    • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (Fed SEOG/Fed SEOG Summer)
    • Federal Work Study (Fed Work Study)
    • Virginia Commonwealth Grant (Commonwealth Grant/Commonwealth Grant Summer)
    • Virginia Community College Grant (VCCS Grant)
    • Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program (VGAP/VGAP Summer)
    • Virginia Part Time Tuition Assistance Program (PTAP/PTAP Summer)
    • Federal Direct Student Loans (DL Subsidized/DL Unsubsidized/DL Plus)
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress – Use this link to learn more about satisfactory academic progress requirements. Satisfactory academic progress is very important to maintaining financial aid eligibility. The financial aid office will cancel your award if you do not maintain satisfactory academic progress. The financial aid office sends notices to the Message Center when your satisfactory academic progress status changes.

Your Initial Award is Based on Full-Time Enrollment

Virginia Western bases your initial financial aid award on full-time enrollment while you pursue an eligible degree or certificate. Full-time enrollment is 12 or more credits per semester. If you enroll in fewer than 12 credits, the financial aid office will adjust your award after the last day to drop and receive a refund for the regular semester. If you fail to begin attendance in any course, the financial aid office will adjust your award based on your actual course attendance.

Dropping Courses Affects Your Financial Aid

If you are considering dropping a class or stopping attendance in any course, you should contact a Financial Aid Advisor. If you drop below half-time enrollment (6 credit hours) you may be ineligible for aid, including loans. Depending on the time during the semester that you drop a course(s), your aid may be adjusted or cancelled.

Financial Aid is Only for Eligible Courses

Financial aid may be used to pay only for courses that apply toward the completion of your academic program. You may find more information about financial aid course eligibility on the Financial Aid Course Eligibility page.

Student Loan Information

If you would like to request a Federal Direct Stafford or PLUS Loan please go to our loan information page. Remember, Federal Direct Student Loans are a type of financial aid that you must repay. To request a Direct Student Loan, students must complete a FAFSA, meet the same basic eligibility criteria as other types of financial aid, and enroll in a minimum of 6 financial aid-eligible credits.

Federal Work-Study Information

If you would like to apply for employment under the College’s Federal Work-Study Program please visit our work-study information page. Funds are limited and awarded on a first come first served basis.

Charging Textbooks and Supplies to Your Financial Aid Award

Students who would like to charge their textbooks and supplies to their financial aid account may do so through the VWCC Book Store during the bookstore charging period. Review the VWCC Bookstore Policy so you know the terms and restrictions of using financial aid in the bookstore. Please note that if you overcharge your account you will be responsible for prompt repayment. Overcharges usually occur due to changes in enrollment level. You may only use financial aid to charge textbooks and supplies in the college bookstore if you have available financial aid funds after accounting for tuition and fee charges.

Delivery of Financial Aid Refund/Balance

The financial aid office begins applying financial aid to student accounts after the last day to drop for a refund and after confirming student attendance and enrollment status. Financial aid covers tuition and fee charges and eligible bookstore charges first. Students with a remaining financial aid balance will receive a balance refund. The estimated timeframe for receipt of financial aid balance refunds is below.

  • Fall – Mid-October
  • Spring- Mid-March
  • Summer – late June (first disbursement) and mid-July (later disbursements)

Students need to choose a refund method to receive balance refunds: direct deposit or reloadable prepaid card. Make sure you sign up.

Please note: Students enrolled in all on-line classes or late starting classes: Financial Aid Refunds will be held until class participation can be verified by the College’s Records Office.

Return of Federal and State Funds

Federal and/or state financial aid awards must be recalculated for students who withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence prior to completing 60 percent of a payment period (term) for which aid has been received. Learn more about the Return of Unearned Financial Aid Funds Policy.


Virginia Western Community College does not require students to actively accept financial aid packages. You should decline any part of your financial aid award that you do not wish to receive in writing. By receiving any financial aid (Federal, State, or Institutional grants, loans or scholarships), you certify that you authorize VWCC to automatically transfer, from your financial aid, the amounts necessary to pay for registration fees and/or other obligations or debts owed to the college. You also agree to the statements in the following section.

Student’s Responsibility

  • I will review all of the information on this page, including information in linked pages.
  • I will use all financial aid only for costs pertaining to higher education attendance.
  • I may not receive aid from more than one college for the same or overlapping terms of attendance.
  • I agree to pay my tuition, fees, and bookstore charges in full upon notice from the College if I lose eligibility for the aid awarded or fail to abide by the terms and conditions for receiving the awards.
  • I authorize the use of the financial aid funds that I have accepted to pay for other institutional charges in addition to tuition, fees, and approved bookstore charges.
  • I understand that my aid may be adjusted if I make revisions to my FAFSA or enrollment.
  • I will inform the Financial Aid Office of any changes to my enrollment and/or residency.
  • I will inform the Financial Aid Office of any outside educational assistance I receive, such as outside scholarships or account payments.
  • I understand that Virginia Western Community College reserves the right to reduce the Financial Aid Awards if state/federal funding changes.
  • I understand that Virginia Western Community College reserves the right to adjust the Financial Aid Awards in the current and prior years if it the college learns that inaccurate information was reported on the FAFSA or to the college. The student will be responsible for any adjustment that results in a debt to the college.

Need Assistance?

Virginia Western is pleased to offer 24/7 Student Support assistance!

Call our toll free Support Center at 855-874-6690 or visit our Support Center Website for live chat or to submit a question or document electronically.