The Media Geeks’ main priority is to provide equipment, services, and support to help faculty and students utilize classroom technology to its fullest potential. Our goals are outlined in the Chancellor’s Technology Expectations (PDF) and are as follows:
Technology Goal II: Virginia’s Community Colleges faculty and students will have access to current and relevant electronic teaching, learning and student services resources and opportunities.
- To support a variety of instructional approaches, colleges, with support from the System Office (ITS, Academic and Workforce Programs), will provide access, training, and support to students, faculty, and staff using synchronous and asynchronous teaching tools and services.
- Maintain 90% of classroom space as an Electronic Classroom.
- Upgrade and/or maintain 10% of classrooms as HyFlex Classrooms.
Virginia Western’s classroom technology is standardized based upon the following models defined in the Chancellor’s Technology Expectations.
- Computer Classroom: Room with a separate computer for each student that generally is the regularly scheduled meeting place for a class.
- Electronic Classroom: Room with an instructor computer and projector, LCD panel, plasma screen, or computer monitor(s) for students to view materials from the instructor computer.
- Mobile Electronic Classroom: A laptop computer, a projector, and speakers on a mobile cart which can be easily moved to a classroom to be used for instructional presentations.
- Enhanced Classroom: An Electronic Classroom that is also equipped with a document camera, control mechanism, and laptop connection.
- HyFlex Classroom: An Enhanced Classroom with additional cameras, monitors, microphones, speakers, and appropriate video conferencing platform such as Zoom to allow for robust interaction between in-class and remote students.
Virginia Western Standard Electronic Classroom
- One touch panel control system to integrate/operate the multimedia equipment.
- One or more main displays for instructor content.
- One sound system.
- One computer with DVD and digital media playing capability.
- One instructor monitor with adjustable mount.
- One laptop connection (bring your own device).
- One document camera with Zoom/Panopto Integration.
- One document camera white board (for close proximity demonstrations and handwritten equations).
- Crestron AirMedia for wireless presentation (bring your own device).
- Zoom video conferencing and Panopto lecture capture features
- One pan/tilt/zoom instructor camera with touch panel control and white board presets.
- One instructor area microphone.
- One student area microphone.
- Second lecture capture backup drive in instructor PC.
The “HyFlex” Classroom
In 2018, the Chancellor set a technology goal to upgrade 10% of classrooms to HyFlex classrooms. Based on that expectation, the VCCS issued these HyFlex classroom guidelines (PDF) developed by technology specialists across the VCCS.
Following classrooms have been converted to HyFlex:
Off Campus Sites
Virginia Western maintains classrooms at the following off campus sites.
- Claude Moore Educational Complex
- 3 Culinary Instruction Kitchens – Standard Classroom
- 1 Lecture Hall – Standard Classroom
- Greenfield Education and Training Center
- 3 Standard Classrooms
- 1 Classroom with 60-inch display, lectern, and HDMI connection
- Bergland Franklin Road
- 2 Classrooms with 60-inch displays, lectern, and HDMI connection
Requesting Classroom Tech Service
If you need help with technology in the classroom, call the Help Desk at 77354, or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are in an Electronic Classroom, you may also fill out a request by clicking on the “Submit Help Request” icon located on the computer desktop or accessing the form here.
Business Science Bldg, Room M250
Service Request Form (MyVWCC login required)
Mon – Thurs: 7:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday: 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Media Geeks are available until 7 PM during the first 4 weeks of fall and spring semester.
Evening support until 10 PM is available by request with 30-day notice.
Please contact Joe Bear for approval.
We use the VW Mass Notification System to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency. Get more info and register!