To provide reliable support and resources for classroom technology, events and faculty throughout Virginia Western Community College’s campus and satellite campuses.
Organizational Objective and Strategic Goals
The Media Geeks provide instructional technology services for the Virginia Western campus community including the following:
- Providing Instructional media design and delivery
- Designing, deploying, and supporting classroom technology
- Supporting the lecture capture system, Panopto
- Recording and live streaming video for special events and presentations around the college and providing sound and lighting assistance for same
- Researching, promoting, and supporting innovation in technology used for teaching and learning
Classroom Technology Support and Design
- Full design/build/support of classroom audio visual technology such as control systems and displays.
- Experimental classroom technology development, implementation, and support
- Bring your own device
Conference Rooms and Student Study Space Support and Design
- Full design/build/support of meeting space audio visual technology.
- Event technology setup, support, and strike
- Video production
- Live Streaming
- Accessibility (Verbit and other platforms)
VWTV System and Digital Signage
- Design, maintenance, and backend support
Video Conferencing (Zoom) and Lecture Capture (Panopto)
- Best practices
- Specialized training
- Equipment demonstrations and recommendations
- Nursing Simulation Labs – Laerdal and Gaurmand Systems
- Virtual Linear Accelerator (VERT)
- Anatomage Table (3D Anatomy and Virtual Dissection)
- LabQuest Data Collection
The Media Geek office is located in Business Science, Room M250.
Monday – Thursday: 7:30 AM – 8:00 PM; Friday: 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Evening support until 10 PM is available by request with 30-day notice.
Please contact Joe Bear for approval.
As a general rule, the Media Geeks try to respond to every high priority call placed to the Help Desk within 10 minutes.