Nursing students wishing to transfer into the AAS Nursing program at Virginia Western must meet the following transfer criteria and submit the following:
- Must be a student in “good standing” with a letter of recommendation from the transferring program’s Nurse Administrator.
Transfer recommendation letter must include a statement of previous clinical hours, varied locations, modalities, and provide documentation of how the clinical hours meet the “life-cycle” definitions of the Virginia Board of Nursing (i.e., adult, geriatric, maternal/infant, mental health/psychiatric, fundamentals and pediatric nursing).
- Must submit an official transcript with evidence of “C” or better in all course work from previous transferring nursing program.
- Must submit official transcripts from High School and all colleges attempted and must meet all other admission requirements for the nursing program.
- Must submit entrance admission test results from transferring nursing program.
- Should apply to the VWCC and indicate plan of study as CSC: Intro to Nursing
- Must submit a Transfer Request Form. Please include the Transfer Recommendation Letter from Nurse Administrator with completed form
- Must submit a letter to the Nursing Admissions Committee outlining reason for transfer and your plan to be successful in the nursing program of study.
Requests to transfer when failing to meet the transferring program’s academic or other standards are not considered.
Transfer requests that indicate a lapse in nursing enrollment greater than 12 months are not considered.
Transfer requests are not guaranteed and are subject to availability of program resources, including clinical placements.
VWCC AAS Nursing reserves the right to evaluate the transfer applicant through examination or competency performance to determine appropriate course level. Submission of course syllabi may be required to determine course level.
Transferring students may incur additional program expenses to purchase resources unique to Nursing at Virginia Western.
Notice of Non-discrimination for Nursing (AAS) Program: https://www.virginiawestern.edu/about/legal-and-policies/notice-of-non-discrimination/
For transfer consideration, all required documents must be received by the following dates:
- Due May 1st for fall semester consideration
- Due October 1st for spring semester consideration
- Due November 1st for summer (LPN to AAS Nursing) consideration
Submit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Official Transcripts that cannot be emailed, using an electronic transcript portal, should be mailed to:
Pam Woody, School of Health Professions Advisor, VWCC, 3091 Colonial Ave., SW, Roanoke, VA 24015
Fralin Center HP339
New Students: Chapman Hall
540-857-7341 or 540-857-6644
School of Health Professions
3091 Colonial Ave., SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
Director of Nursing
A.A.S. in Nursing – Northern Virginia Community College, 1999
B.S. in Nursing – George Mason University, 2010
M.S. in Adult Learning & Human Development – Virginia Tech, 2012
M.S. in Nursing – Western Governor’s University, 2016
CNE, Certified Nurse Educator, National League for Nursing, June 2017
SCHOOL OF HEALTH PROFESSIONS
Martha Sullivan, Dean