Current and prospective students located outside the state of Virginia who may be enrolled in a program at Virginia Western Community College that prepares students for professional licensure or certification should review the disclosure information below.
Per Virginia Western college policy I-69: Licensure Disclosure all programs, regardless of modality, are required to provide general (public) and direct (individual) disclosures to students if that program leads to professional licensure or certification. This applies to educational programs that are either:
- Designed to meet education requirements for a specific professional license or certification that is required for employment in an occupation or
- Advertised as meeting licensure or certification requirements
State professional licensing boards often require applicants for licensure to meet multiple requirements, including specific educational requirements. An institution’s program might meet all the educational requirements in one jurisdiction, but not another (for example, an applicant might need to complete an additional class).
The disclosures below indicate whether the Virginia Western program meets such requirements in the state where a student may be located, does not meet requirements in that state, or that no determination has been made.
Applicants and students are also encouraged to seek additional information for any jurisdiction in which they intend to seek licensure by contacting the jurisdiction. Additional helpful licensing information can be found at: https://www.careeronestop.org/ExploreCareers/Plan/licensed-occupations.aspx.
Virginia Western Community College has entered into a reciprocity agreement through NC-SARA that allows us to offer higher education services in the form of online programs and courses to students in states other than Virginia where we would not otherwise be authorized to provide those services.
Institutions that participate in reciprocity through NC-SARA must be aware and comply with notification requirements directed by SARA Policy. The June 12, 2020 NC-SARA Announcement, regarding a revision to the language of Section 5.2 (Programs leading to Professional Licensure), states the following notification requirements that more closely align with Federal regulations:
SARA has no effect on State professional licensing requirements. Any Institution approved to participate in SARA that offers courses or programs designed to lead to Professional Licensure or certification or advertised as leading to Licensure must satisfy all federal requirements for disclosures regarding such Professional Licensure programs under 34 §C.F.R. 668.43. For SARA purposes, these requirements will also apply to non-Title IV institutions.
For SARA purposes, institutions that are unable, after all reasonable efforts, to determine whether a program will meet state professional licensure requirements shall provide the student or applicant with current contact information for any applicable licensing boards, and advise the student or applicant to determine whether the program meets requirements for licensure in the state where the student or applicant is located.
Professional Licensure Disclosures
The following information is intended to publicly disclose any VWCC program, no matter the method of delivery, designed to meet educational requirements for specific professional licensure or certification required for employment or is marketed as such. The impacted programs are noted below.
- AAS in Dental Hygiene (PDF)
- AAS in Medical Laboratory Technology (PDF)
- AAS in Nursing (PDF)
- AAS in Physical Therapist Assistant (PDF)
- AAS in Radiation Oncology (PDF)
- AAS in Radiography (PDF)
- AAS in Surgical Technology (PDF)
- Certificate in Practical Nursing (PDF)
Notes for Prospective and Current Students
- In cases where Virginia Western Community College has been unable to determine whether a program will meet state professional licensure requirements, students and applicants should determine for themselves whether the program meets specific requirements for licensure in the state where the student or applicant is located. Contact information for applicable state licensing boards can be found at: https://www.careeronestop.org/ExploreCareers/Plan/licensed-occupations.aspx.
- The student is responsible for notifying the Program Director and changing their location in the Student Information System if their state location changes during enrollment.
We use the VW Mass Notification System to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency. Get more info and register!