Policy Number: I-49
Last Reviewed: December 1, 2022
Responsible Dept.: Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs
A signed copy of this policy is available in the President’s Office.
To promote the availability of faculty to work with individual students, student engagement hours will be scheduled in a way that meets their diverse needs. Full-time faculty members are required to provide 10 student engagement hours per week during fall and spring semesters. They should be scheduled in increments of at least 15 minutes. As approved by the dean, student engagement hours can include multiple activities, including but not limited to, office hours, student organization sponsorship, tutoring, advising, student trips, etc.
Criterion for all Full-Time Faculty
The communication of student engagement hours will be posted in syllabi and in the Learning Management System (LMS) including times, locations, and modalities.
10 Student Engagement Hours will be offered in a way that meets the diverse needs of students.
- Minimum of three days per week, with 1 day per week on campus unless an exception is approved by the dean.
- Minimum of 15-minute increments.
- Various modalities can be used including, but not limited to, face-to-face (scheduled & walk-ins), synchronous online, phone, and via email communication.
- Hours may be modified during the semester based on course schedule patterns and dean approval. Students will be notified as per policy.
- 5 hours will be available for appointments in Navigate. These may be in-person, online, or group appointments and may be used for students in the faculty member’s classes, their advisees, or other student engagement related activities.
Exception due to distance learning, off-campus assignments, or use of technology to serve students may be approved by the dean.
Adjunct faculty will schedule a minimum of 1 hour per week per course as student engagement hours. Each adjunct faculty member shall ensure that all students are informed of their contact details, including location, time, and modality, in the faculty member’s syllabus and the LMS.
Summer Session Office Hours
- 10-week courses -1 hour per course per week
- 8-week courses -1.25 hour per course per week
- 5-week courses – 2 hours per course per week
We use the VW Mass Notification System to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency. Get more info and register!