Policy Number: I-17
Last Reviewed: May 11, 2021
Responsible Dept.: Dean of Student Affairs/Director of Enrollment and Advising Services
A signed copy of this policy is available in the President’s Office.
Students qualify for a tuition refund for those credit hours officially dropped by the last day to drop and receive a refund according to the academic calendar. This refund will be at the full credit rate. After the last day to drop and receive a refund has passed, no tuition refund will be issued. Exceptions to this policy may be made in extreme, mitigating circumstances which are appropriately documented in accordance with Virginia Community College System (VCCS) Policy 4.3.2. When being considered for a decrease in tuition charges as a result of an exceptional circumstance, all grant aid refunds disbursed prior to reductions in financial aid and scholarships, which resulted in a debt to the college, cannot be considered for debt forgiveness. Such refunds must be repaid to Virginia Western’s Business Office in full to be returned to its respective Title IV program. Debt incurred from bookstore purchases or class specific material fees are not eligible for relief through the tuition refund request process. All requests for tuition refunds must be received within two years of the related term.
Qualifying tuition refund exceptions may include:
- Major medical emergency
- Extreme financial hardship involving sudden, unforeseen loss
- Death of an immediate family member; is defined as a father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, spouse, sibling, step-sibling, child, or stepchild
- Errors by Virginia Western personnel; documentation must be submitted by the department in which the error occurred
- National emergency or mobilization declared by the President of the United States in accordance with Section 23-9.6:2 of the Code of Virginia
- Military service as defined in VCCS Policy 188.8.131.52, pursuant to 23-9.6:2 of the Code of Virginia, and in conjunction with the State Council of Higher Education of Virginia (SCHEV) Guidelines and VWCC Policy I-1: Refunds, Credits, and Reinstatement as a Result of Military Service.
- Certain Active Duty Military Students Covered by U.S. Department of Defense Military Tuition Assistance Program as defined in VCCS Policy 184.108.40.206
Qualifying tuition refund exceptions do not include:
- Misunderstanding of deadlines, college policies and accompanying procedures as published in the College Catalog, the Student Handbook, the college website, or course syllabi
- Misunderstanding of course requirements or prerequisites
- Dissatisfaction with course content, instruction, or academic progress
- Conflicts with child care, work, or vacation schedules
- Changes in eligibility for financial aid or scholarships
- Personal errors in judgment
- Lack of transportation
Students requesting a tuition refund policy exception must submit a Tuition Appeal Request Form. This form must be accompanied by appropriate supporting documentation of the extreme, mitigating circumstance that qualifies for an exception to the refund policy. Requests must be received prior to the end of the semester for which the student is requesting a refund.