Policy Number: I-17
Last Reviewed: October 13, 2022
Responsible Dept.: Dean of Student Affairs/Coordinator of Retention and Student Success
A signed copy of this policy is available in the President’s Office.
Students qualify for a tuition refund for those credit hours officially dropped by the last day to drop and receive a refund according to the academic calendar. This refund will be at the full credit rate. After the last day to drop and receive a refund has passed, no tuition refund will be issued.
1-17.1 Policy on Tuition Refunds in Exceptional Case (Appeals)
Exceptions to this policy may be made in extreme, mitigating circumstances which are appropriately documented in accordance with Virginia Community College System (VCCS) Policy 4.3.2 (click on Policies, then Section 4 dropdown and choose Section 4.3 to review). All requests for tuition refunds in exceptional cases must be received within three years of the related term. Students who have been deemed to be totally and permanently disabled and identified as such within the National Student Loan Database System (NSLDS) may be considered for a period of longer than three years. Appeals will be reviewed by the Tuition Appeals Committee on a case-by-case basis.
Qualifying tuition refund exceptions may include:
- Major medical emergency
- Extreme financial hardship involving sudden, unforeseen loss
- Death of an immediate family member; is defined as a father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, spouse, sibling, step-sibling, child, or stepchild
- Errors by Virginia Western personnel; documentation must be submitted by the department in which the error occurred
- National emergency or mobilization declared by the President of the United States in accordance with Section 23-9.6:2 of the Code of Virginia
- Military service as defined in VCCS Policy 184.108.40.206, pursuant to 23-9.6:2 of the Code of Virginia, and in conjunction with the State Council of Higher Education of Virginia (SCHEV) Guidelines and VWCC Policy I-1: Refunds, Credits, and Reinstatement as a Result of Military Service.
- Certain Active Duty Military Students Covered by U.S. Department of Defense Military Tuition Assistance Program as defined in VCCS Policy 220.127.116.11
Qualifying tuition refund exceptions do not include:
- Misunderstanding of deadlines, college policies and accompanying procedures as published in the College Catalog, the Student Handbook, the college website, or course syllabi
- Misunderstanding of course requirements or prerequisites
- Dissatisfaction with course content, instruction, or academic progress
- Conflicts with child care, work, or vacation schedules
- Changes in eligibility for financial aid or scholarships
- Personal errors in judgment
- Lack of transportation
Students requesting a tuition refund policy exception must submit a Tuition Appeal Request Form online (please review the allowable exceptions above). This form must be accompanied by appropriate supporting documentation of the extreme, mitigating circumstance that qualifies for an exception to the refund policy. Please allow 2-3 weeks processing time for the Tuition Appeal Committee to review your request. Once the review process is complete, a determination will be emailed to the address provided on the Request Form. All determinations made by the committee are considered final.
24/7 Student Support Center
TTY: All users 711
3094 Colonial Ave., SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
We use the VW Mass Notification System to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency. Get more info and register!