Policy Number: V-5
Last Reviewed: September 21, 2023
Responsible Dept.: College-Wide Policy – Reviewed by Resource Team
A signed copy of this policy is available in the President’s Office.
Virginia Western Community College mission is to provide quality educational opportunities that empower students for success and strengthen communities. Internal campus events are planned occasions that have a purpose to support that mission. The college does not rent any facilities and requires that facilities usage be internal and support the mission of the College.
Internal Events Definition
For a college meeting or event to qualify as an internal event, it must meet the following two criteria:
- College involvement: A Virginia Western Community College employee or student club (under the guidance of an advisor) is sponsoring the event as part of their job duties AND will be responsible for the planning and execution of the event.
- Mission alignment: The event supports the mission and the institutional priorities as outlined in the college’s strategic plan. In most cases, events support the mission through goals like:
- Current student engagement, learning, and/or information sharing
- Prospective student recruitment
- Employee engagement, professional development, and/or information sharing
- Strategic business partnerships
- Strategic community relationships, to include donor cultivation and support
Events that do not meet both of the above internal events criteria are classified as external events. The college is unable to host external events. All events require college resource support, such as Facilities Management, Media Geeks, Campus Police, etc. and are limited to internal events only.
Reviewed/Revised: 2/2013, 11/2020, 9/2023
We use the VW Mass Notification System to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency. Get more info and register!