Policy Number: III-23
Last Reviewed: January 23, 2020
Responsible Dept.: Human Resources
Office to contact for clarifications: Human Resources
A signed copy of this policy is available in the President’s Office.
§ 2.2-2817.1 of the Code of Virginia and the Department of Human Resources Management (DHRM) require each state agency to establish a telework and alternative work policy under which eligible college employees may telework, participate in alternative work schedules, or both, to promote general work efficiencies. Teleworking allows an employee to work at home for all or part of their regular workweek.
This policy is pursuant to and in compliance with the Code of Virginia and Department of Human Resource Management (DHRM) Policy 1.61, Telework.
Eligible Employee – – Telework applies to full-time classified, 12-month administrative or professional faculty employees, and regular hourly part-time positions excluding adjuncts, tutors, and student employees.
Telework – Work performed on behalf of the college from home or a satellite location.
Telework may be approved when it is in the best interest of VWCC, supports the attainment of our mission, meets the operational needs of the college, and is mutually agreed upon by the employee and their supervisor; unless required as a condition of employment.
Telework can benefit both the employee and VWCC. However, decisions made about the feasibility of a position being telework eligible will be based on the duties and requirements of the position and operational needs; thereby excluding all teaching faculty. Faculty teaching hybrid or distance learning classes will not constitute a telework arrangement between the college and the faculty member. However, the faculty member and their respective dean must use the spirit of this policy when agreeing on the terms and conditions of the faculty member teaching said course(s) from their home or a satellite location. By the nature of a faculty position, this standard includes performing any work from home.
Telework arrangements are operational and position considerations, not employee rights or benefits; therefore, decisions to utilize such arrangements are based on the position, not the person.
Telework does not change the terms and conditions of employment or the required compliance with all state and federal law; and, DHRM, VCCS, VWCC policies and procedures.
Telework allows employees to work at an alternate location, such as a home office. Employees perform the same work they would perform in the central work place in accordance with their same performance expectations and other agreed upon terms. Position eligibility for telework does not change unless the duties, responsibilities, or the requirements for the position change.
In accordance with law and policy, the final approval to permit an employee to telework will rest with the college president. A designee is not permitted. The college president at his or her discretion may choose to deny a telework request.
If the Supervisor deems it appropriate, the initial telework agreement may be established on a month-to-month basis to ensure that expectations are being met. If an employee demonstrates successful completion of assigned tasks and objectives during this time, the Supervisor may then agree to extend the agreement for a longer period of time. The telework arrangement may be terminated at any time due to non-compliance with established laws, policies, procedures, and/or associated college deadlines; either the employee or the supervisor may initiate the termination. Under more routine circumstances, both the employee and the supervisor should attempt to provide reasonable notice before altering or terminating the telework agreement.
Telework does not automatically move with an employee who assumes a new position or apply when a new employee moves into a position previously approved for teleworking.
Managing the operations of each department is a dynamic and evolving challenge; therefore, decisions that govern telework arrangements are subject to change. A new supervisor may not choose to automatically continue an existing telework agreement. The existing agreement may be suspended or rescinded in order to ensure the proper coordination of work requirements and college operations are being met.
Supervisors and participating employees must adhere to and abide by all established applicable policies and procedures. All required requests, forms, and agreements are to be completed prior to the inception of teleworking.
The college reserves the right to end the telework agreement at any time. Generally, the employee will be given advance notice of termination (2 weeks), but advance notice is not required. When in the interests of organizational benefit and/or for reasons such as, but not limited to, declining performance, employee or supervisor violations of policies; procedures; and deadlines, or the failure to fulfill the intent of the telework agreement, advance notice is not required.
- Telework arrangements are not intended to change the terms and conditions related to hours of work, leave, holidays or other absences, paid or unpaid.
- Employees who work from an alternate work location are required to take annual leave or other appropriate approved leave, paid or unpaid, when they are not either present or working at their alternate work location during their established work hours.
- An employee who has been approved for telework shall observe the college’s alternate holiday schedule. Telework performed on a holiday closing is only permitted when required by the supervisor and approved in advance by the vice president of Financial and Administrative Services for overtime, if applicable.
- Telework is not intended to be used in place of paid leave. The college will determine whether or not it is appropriate to offer telework arrangements as an opportunity for temporary, partial, or full return to work from illness/injury or for disability accommodations.
- Telework may be used for unplanned or temporary circumstances. If the employee has a telework agreement, telework for unplanned circumstances such as school closings, family illness, etc., may be approved. The supervisor will exercise discretion in determining whether an employee can accomplish at least some part of his/her duties from the telework site in such a situation and when leave should be used.
- Supervisors may require employees to report to a central workplace as needed for work-related meetings, events, or to meet operational needs. The supervisor may want to meet with the employee in the alternate work location as needed to discuss work progress or work related issues.
- Teleworking as a form of an accommodation will be determined on a case-by-case basis and shall conform to the provisions within all applicable policies and procedure.
- Call-in provisions will normally include an expected time frame for reporting that shall be consistent with the department’s call-in provisions for employees working in a central location.
- The college does not assume responsibility for teleworker’s operating costs, home maintenance, or other costs incurred by teleworkers in the use of their homes or other alternate work locations. Telework locations must not require VWCC to incur costs that it would not normally incur if the work was completed onsite.
- A job-related injury or illness that occurs in the employee’s alternate work location during established work hours should be reported within 24 hours to the Human Resource Office. Employees agree to practice the same safety habits they would use at the college and to maintain safe conditions in their alternate work locations. A job-related injury or illness shall be investigated by the immediate supervisor immediately upon notification.
Code of Virginia § 2.2-2817.1
Virginia Western Community College Telework Procedure
Consideration Checklist for Teleworking
Memorandum of Understanding for Teleworking
Agreement for Teleworking
DHRM Standard Telework Agreement
DHRM Policy 1.61 Teleworking
We use the VW Mass Notification System to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency. Get more info and register!