This faculty development curriculum is designed for instructors that are new or nearly new to online learning. All courses are self-paced and delivered asynchronously through the Canvas LMS. By completing this curriculum, faculty will be prepared to design and deliver high-quality online learning experiences. Each course will be monitored and supported by a course facilitator and requires some type of assessment to be completed. Completion of these courses will lead to a Virginia Western Teaching Online Certification that meets professional development objectives for faculty teaching hybrid and online Courses in the Faculty Evaluation and Development Plan. Click on the link to view detailed curriculum and to find the Canvas self-enroll link for each course.
- Online Learning Faculty Orientation (8-10 hours) (PDF)
- Online Course Design (OCD) Basics (15-20 hours) (PDF)
- Additional Instructional Technology Training as needed (Zoom, Panopto, Respondus Monitor, Canvas, etc.)
- Some training or experience in the use of Canvas instructor tools for presentation, interaction, and assessment construction. **
- Ability to use the Internet in an effective and efficient manner, including installation and management of browser plug-ins.
- Basic knowledge about the operation of a computer, file management principles, and software installation.
- ** Growing with Canvas (6-8 hours) (PDF)
- New Faculty who have not taught in Canvas before should complete this course
- Optional for other faculty. To help determine if this course is a needed, faculty can gauge their Canvas abilities by completing the Basic Canvas Competency Assessment Tool.
Changes or updates to this certification will be made in collaboration with the Online Learning Workgroup and notification provided to the ASA Committee.