For many, the road to lifetime achievement started at Virginia Western Community College. The Virginia Western Alumni Association established the Distinguished Alumni Award in 2006. This prestigious award recognizes Virginia Western Community College alumni and former students who have attained extraordinary distinction in his or her professional field or life and serves to honor all the men and women whose attendance at Virginia Western helped them achieve their educational and professional goals allowing them to better serve their communities.
To be eligible for nomination, the candidate must:
- Be a graduate of or have completed a minimum of two semesters at Virginia Western Community College.
- Be present to accept the award.
- Have attained extraordinary distinction and success in his or her profession or life.
- Be a person of such integrity and stature that the College will take pride in his or her recognition.
- Have attained regional, statewide, or national prominence and have significant involvement in civic, cultural, or charitable affairs.
How to Nominate
Anyone may nominate a Virginia Western Community College alumna/us or former student for this award by completing a nomination form. Self nominations are also welcome. Any one individual can receive the Distinguished Alumni Award only once a lifetime. Please note that nominees remain nominated for two (2) years after the receipt of their nomination.
The Selection Process
Following receipt of a completed nomination form and required attachments, the Distinguished Alumni Award Committee will select the recipient based upon a scoring system.
Award and Presentation
The annual recipient or recipients will receive the award at a special Scholarship Awards Ceremony in March, and a plaque will be placed on the Virginia Western Distinguished Alumni Wall outside Whitman Theatre. Publicity on the recipient will appear on the alumni website and a news release will be provided to the media. For more information on the Distinguished Alumni Award contact our Alumni Development Services Coordinator.
For More Information
For more information on the Distinguished Alumni Award, contact our Philanthropy Director, Amanda Mansfield, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-857-6962.