CSC: Health Programs Selective Admission Preparation
- Meets most of the pre-admission requirements for Health Professions programs offered at VWCC (i.e. Dental Hygiene, Nursing, Radiation Oncology, Radiography, etc.)
- Cohort is limited to 24 students
- High school aged 12th graders are encouraged to apply
Benefits to Students
- Earn college credits while in high school
- Gain valuable knowledge of exciting careers in healthcare industry
- Access to state-of-the-art labs
- Engage with and learn from seasoned faculty with significant experience
- Interact with Virginia Western and other high school students
- Greater transfer opportunities into Virginia Western Health Science programs
- Tuition Assistance may be available through a grant provided by the Claude Moore Charitable Foundation
- Applicants must meet the general requirements for admission to the college
- Students must complete the Academy Application and submit all supporting documentation noted in the application.
- Successfully complete the Virginia Placement Test (VPT). Scores on the VPT must equate to “Placed ENG 111” and MTE 1 – 5 (or equivalent).
- Students must meet the prerequisites for BIO 141 by
- completing high school biology with a C or higher and successfully completing the placement test for BIO 141 or
- completing BIO 101 with a C or higher through dual enrollment or on campus
NOTE: Students that do not meet the prerequisite for BIO 141 may complete BIO 101 during the summer session to be eligible for the Academy in the fall. BIO 101 is a four-credit course (lecture and lab) that prepares students for upper level biology courses and is transferrable.
In the first fall semester of the Academy, students will identify their career paths through the SDV 101 course. Based on the path chosen, the instructor will discuss which elective is appropriate for the spring semester (either the PHI 220, ENG 111, BIO 142 or MTH 161 course).