- This curriculum is designed to provide the technical knowledge and practical experience needed for employment as a health records coding technician.
- Health Records Coding technicians analyze and interpret a patient’s record to determine the proper standardized code that represents the patient’s diagnosis and treatment which is used mainly for billing purposes.
- Students may continue post-high school to complete the Health Records Coding CSC 221-15-06
- This is a one-year program. Current high school aged 11th graders are encouraged to apply for their senior high school year
Benefits to Students
- Earn college credits while in high school
- Develop workforce specific skills to enhance employment opportunities
- Coding professionals have many employment opportunities which include diagnostic outpatient coding in a medical facility, positions in physicians’ offices, and inpatient coding positions.
- Graduates of the program are eligible to take the national certifying examinations administered by the American Health Information Management Association or the American Academy of Professional Coders
- Program flexibility – The program can be completed through on-line classes; on campus; or a combination of on-line and on-campus.
- Engage with and learn from seasoned faculty with significant experience
- Interact with Virginia Western and other high school students
- Applicants must meet the general requirements for admission to the college
- Students must complete the Academy Application and submit all supporting documentation noted in the application.
- Students must meet the program admission requirements
- Students must have completed at least 1 full year of high school credits (5); have a current high school GPA of 3.0 or higher and have completed Algebra I with a grade of “C” (2.0) or higher.
- SDV 101: Orientation to Business and Professional Services (2 CR)
- AST 101: Keyboarding I (3 CR)
- HLT 143: Medical Terminology I (3 CR)
- AST 205: Business Communication (3 CR)
- HLT 144: Medical Terminology II (3 CR)
Please note: SDV 101 is required in the curriculum but does not transfer and will not fulfill general education transfer course requirements.
Post High School Curriculum Suggestions
|Post High School VWCC Course||Credits|
|HIM 226: Legal Aspects of Health Record Documentation||2|
|AST 243: Office Administration I||3|
|HIM 163: Anatomy and Physiology for Administrative Health Professions||3|
|HIM 253: Health Records Coding||4|
|HIM 254: Advanced Coding and Reimbursement||4|
Dr. Kathryn H. Beard
Dual Enrollment Coordinator
Fishburn Hall F125C
3093 Colonial Ave SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
We use the VW Mass Notification System to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency. Get more info and register!