Did you know that Phlebotomists are the people who draw your blood when your doctor orders lab tests? Phlebotomists’ jobs include clinical laboratories, hospitals, community health centers, nursing homes, doctor’s offices, and blood donation centers? Phlebotomists only need one semester at Virginia Western Community College before they can get a job? They must know their job well, since lab testing depends a great deal on them!
If you are interested in applying to the VWCC Phlebotomy program, we encourage you to explore the information linked in the left menu to learn more about the process. If you need further assistance, you may contact our office.
The Career Studies Certificate in Phlebotomy prepares students for a career in obtaining blood samples from patients in health care settings.
To effectively implement the program mission, the college and program faculty have made a commitment to:
- Prepare technical personnel capable of performance in venipuncture and dermal puncture collection, handling, and processing.
- Instill in students the principles of ethical conduct and a sense of concerned patient care.
- Provide students with the ability to follow written and verbal instructions, organize work, transfer information from one situation to another, demonstrate problem-solving skills, and communicate effectively with patients and members of the health care delivery team.
- Provide students with the skills necessary to continue professional growth through lifelong learning.
- Provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to pass certification examinations.