Culinary Arts: Baking Specialization
Did you know that Virginia Western Community College offers quality culinary education that is accredited by The American Culinary Federation? An AAS in Culinary Arts with a focus in baking and pastry will prepare you for a career in the Hotel and Resort industry with well-known regional resorts such as The Homestead, Primland, and the Greenbrier.
Accreditation & Program Credentials
This program is accredited by the American Culinary Federation.
Completion of the Associate of Applied Science degree satisfies the American Culinary Federation eligibility requirements for both Certified Culinarian (CC) and Certified Pastry Culinarian (CPC) designations. Visit the American Culinary Federation website for further information.
Additional Benefits for Culinary Program Students
- ServSafe Food Manager Certification
- ServSafe Alcohol Safety Certification
- ACF membership upon graduation
- ACF meetings held monthly for interested students
Mandatory Cutlery and Uniform Requirements
- Two (2) full uniforms, if taking more than one lab (if only taking 1 lab, 1 uniform is sufficient, so long as it is kept clean), consisting of: Chef Jacket with school logo and your name embroidered on it; black & white checkered pants; neckerchief; neckerchief slide; white apron; white baker’s cap; black hard-style non-skid shoes with closed heel and toe (sneakers/tennis shoes/soft cloth shoes will NOT be permitted). Baking Uniform Pricing (PDF)
- In accordance with the Virginia Health Code 12VAC5-421-200 (Prohibition of jewelry) and ACFEF Standard 5.11, there will be no jewelry of any kind (to include medical information jewelry) permitted in the classrooms or labs, with the exception of a plain, metal band.
Local Job Opportunities
Webber Hall W305
School of Business, Technology & Trades
3098 Colonial Ave., SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
James Zeisler, Sr., CEC, CCA, CDM, CFPP
Instructor, Culinary Arts
Claude Moore Education Complex
109 Henry St NW, Roanoke, VA 24016
A.O.S.: Culinary Arts – Johnson & Wales University, 1992
Certificate: Dietary Management, University of Florida, 1999