Would you like to become a tutor for the Academic Link? Here is how:
- Be a current or former VWCC student, a student at another college, or a qualified member of the community.
- Have an A or high B in the subject for which you’d like to tutor and/or professional experience that qualifies you to tutor the subject.
- Have an overall 3.0 GPA on all current and previous college work.
- Maintain a 3.0 overall GPA during the time you’re employed as a tutor (current college students only).
- Download and complete the Tutor Application (PDF).
- Submit the completed application, along with the required documentation, electronically at email@example.com.
What hours would I have to work? Tutors generally set their own hours; however, applicants should have at least 10 hours per week available to devote to tutoring.
How much are tutors paid? The hourly wage starts at $9.00 per hour for tutors who have not yet earned at least an associate’s degree. The hourly wage increases with each degree earned. Tutors may also be eligible for $.25 hourly wage increases each fall and spring semester that they work – up to a maximum of $1.00 above the starting wage, not including any increases for additional degrees.
Will I receive any training? Yes. All new tutors are required to go through paid training of 1-2 days.
Can I tutor a class I’m currently taking? No. Tutors must have completed a class with a high B or A before they can tutor for that class.