As part of the Virginia Western family, we know better than anyone that our students need more than a place to start – they need a reason backed with tangible help and hope. They need support, risk abeyance, and opportunity. They need you, and everything you do, every day, to make college possible.
Starting now. Please consider supporting Virginia Western’s 2022-2023 Starting Now Annual Giving Campaign through one of our top priorities: student emergency funds, the food pantry, CCAP or our permanent endowment. It’s the right time. And the right place. Thanks to you.
How to Contribute
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I give?
The focus of the Employee Giving Campaign is to raise funds to support affordable higher education opportunities for our students. Virginia Western students who have been the recipients of employee generosity in the past have commented that scholarships as well as emergency funds have had a significant impact on their success! Additionally, your gift is a vote of confidence in the work being done here at the College and is so important because it shows prospective corporate and individual donors that our faculty and staff believe in the future of Virginia Western.
How much should I give?
You can give as much as you feel compelled to give. We know that you probably contribute to many worthwhile organizations, and we ask you to consider supporting our students and the College at the same level. Our goal is to reach 100 percent participation by faculty and staff. Please consider participating at whatever level works best for you.
How can I donate?
You can make your annual gift to the Educational Foundation by cash, check, credit card, or through payroll deduction. You can make a bigger impact by having a set amount deducted from each paycheck – that way your annual contribution is larger and you don’t miss the extra cash. Just imagine the impact that giving $5 a pay period would have, for many full time employees that is $120!
How does payroll deduction work?
You select the payroll deduction option on the pledge form (see below), and indicate how many deductions and the amount of each deduction you authorize the Commonwealth to deduct from each paycheck. Your payroll deduction will begin with your first paycheck after you submit the form, and continue through the number of deductions you have indicated on the pledge form. If you are currently using payroll deduction the amount contributed each pay period is listed on your pay stub. If possible, please consider increasing this year’s contribution to further support our students.
Where is my contribution going?
100 percent of your contribution is directed to the campaign initiatives of your choice. If you choose more than one initiative your contribution will be equally distributed among your choices.
- The Employee Annual Giving Scholarship provides assistance for tuition, books and other expenses to full-time students with a minimum 3.0 GPA entering their second year with the desire to complete their Associate’s Degree. Priority is given to those demonstrating financial need.
- The Employee Family Scholarship provides assistance for tuition, books, and other expenses to a full-time student with a 2.5 GPA whose spouse or parent has been employed at Virginia Western for at least two years – August through May.
- The Student Emergency Fund is designed to address exceptional financial hardships faced by new and continuing Virginia Western students that could affect their continuing education.
- The Community College Access Program (CCAP) is a tuition-assistance program based on financial need currently available to students in Franklin County, Roanoke City, and Salem City. The Foundation plans to expand this program to include Botetourt, Craig, and Roanoke Counties. You may designate your gift to any of the localities above or for the regional CCAP fund which will assist students across all localities.
- You may also direct your contribution to a specific scholarship or fund not listed above.
Will people know that I gave and the amount I contributed?
In appreciation for your support the Educational Foundation will recognize you on our website, in the annual report, and on a recognition poster outside Whitman Theatre. However, the amount of your gift will be kept confidential. If you wish to give your gift anonymously you may designate so on your donation form.
Is my contribution tax deductible?
Can I make a planned gift or include the Virginia Western Educational Foundation in my will?
Yes. Remembering the Virginia Western Educational Foundation in your estate plans may help you make a larger gift than you thought possible Visit the Planned Giving website or call Carole Tarrant at 540-857-6281 for more information.
Remember to check to see if your spouse’s employer has a matching gift program. You may be able to double, or even triple, your gift to the Virginia Western Educational Foundation!