Position Number: FA013
Reports to: Vice President of Institutional Advancement
The Director of Marketing and Strategic Communications is responsible for the development and implementation of the college’s marketing strategies, marketing communications, and public relations for both internal and external audiences. The director is Virginia Western’s Public Information Officer, operating as the official college spokesperson with the media. The director manages the Marketing Office, overseeing graphic design, event planning and social media as it directly supports the college’s marketing, enrollment, community relations, communications and public relations goals.
The Director of Marketing and Strategic Communications’ responsibilities include:
- Serves as the college’s Public Information Officer maintaining effective relationships with the print and on-air media that lead to public awareness of the College’s many contributions to the community. Responds to media inquiries with timely, accurate and appropriate information to enhance the college’s reputation, and favorably reflects the work of Virginia Western Community College, and our students, faculty and staff. Supervises support staff in the development of external and internal communications documents.
- Serves as an active member of the Campus Security and Safety Executive Committee, informing and assisting upper administration with public information needs in times of emergencies or crises. Acts as spokesperson for the college during such times of crises, and coordinates social media responses and notifications. Follows incident command structure and works with local, regional, state and national information officers to perform public information duties. Actively participates in emergency planning training.
- Serves as the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Officer as designated by Virginia Western Community College to adhere to the Code of Virginia. Processes and responds to public FOIA requests in a timely manner as specified by law. Is trained at least annually on FOIA.
- Directs the processes of preparing and distributing news releases and generating media coverage of college events and programs. Responsible for developing, researching, writing and disseminating communications for a variety of news and public relations efforts including media releases, blogging, newsletters, magazine feature stories, social media posts, VNR (video news release) voiceovers, and website content for Virginia Western Community College and its programs. This position plays a key role in strategic communications that help advance Virginia Western’s mission and core values to a variety of audiences that engage with the college.
- Formulates marketing and communication strategies aimed toward student populations, current Virginia Western students, and other targeted community related populations. Develops and executes an annual marketing plan and budget aimed at contributing to the fulfillment of the college’s enrollment and public relations objectives. Manages the creative development of advertisement and collateral marketing materials that help fulfill the college’s enrollment goals.
- Develops and protects Virginia Western’s brand and image ensuring that all college communications reflect the vision, values, and mission of the College. Directs the development of assigned creative work, in keeping with the college’s marketing plan and objectives including alignment of said creative work with the intent of the college’s strategic goals, brand and image. Conceptualizes, writes, edits and oversees the production of marketing materials and advertising with an emphasis on high quality and unified branding. Provides professional design and photography services to faculty and staff for a wide variety of print and electronic publications.
- Maintains active social media accounts for Virginia Western to disseminate information and support student enrollment. Monitors social media to identify potential opportunities and threats to the college as well as respond to questions and communicate directly with students.
- Actively seeks media ideas and news from many sources at the college. Participates on college committees and task groups, providing guidance and bringing a marketing perspective to college activities. Researches a wide variety of learning initiatives, programs, grant awards, new curriculum developments, faculty/student/staff recognition and honors, arts and entertainment events, speakers, authors and other college news and writes appropriate articles for key audiences including general audiences, elected officials, key stakeholders, alumni, students and potential students, faculty and staff, reporters, editors, and higher education audiences.
- Collaborates with the web design/development team in IET to develop, maintain, revise and update the college’s web presence. Coordinate all social media initiatives of the college.
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the college’s marketing/communications/public relations program and its activities, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance.
- Oversees the event planning function of the Marketing Office and the college. Collaborates with the college event planner on campus-wide calendar software, daily bulletin e-mails and special events. Directs special events budgets and timelines. Works alongside the event planner to handle outreach with outside agencies and organizations that wish to hold events on campus. Plays a major role on the Commencement Committee, managing production of the program, media outreach and other details.
- Plans and manages press events such as articulation agreement signings, construction tours and donation announcements. Works with outside colleges, organizations and officials to ensure smooth ceremonies with beneficial media coverage.
- Represents the college at various community events as assigned. Follows national, state and local news stories and trending topics to effectively place Virginia Western achievements in the context of relevant higher education, economic development, workforce training, public policy and societal issues and thus engage wider interest. Prepares position statements and supporting documents for presentation to national, state and local elected and appointed officials regarding legislative and governmental issues affecting the college.
- Oversees the graphic design function of the Marketing Office and the college. Coordinates with graphic designer to manage projects such as brochures, posters, banners, signs, bookmarks and more for departments across campus.
- Works with graphic designer to produce promotional items, framed items and other materials from outside venders as they are required. Assisted other departments with their promotional item needs.
Last updated 09/2018