Position Number: FA070
Reports to: Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs (FA010)
Provides vision, leadership, and overall management to the Learning Resources unit and the College’s online learning initiatives. The Learning Resources unit is comprised of academic and support services including library, testing, academic tutoring, instructional design & technology, faculty and professional development, and support services for at risk students. The primary goal of Learning Resources is to promote increased student success through the application of technology, training and services that strengthen teaching and learning throughout the college.
Work Tasks & Duties
Directs and Supervises Learning Resources Unit (40%)
Directs and supervises the work activities of the Learning Resources Unit that includes; Library Services, Media Geeks, Online Learning and Instructional Technology, and TRiO-Student Support Services.
- Directs and supervises the work activities assigned staff including hiring, training, evaluating, and establishing projects and resource priorities.
- Ensure efficient operation of the unit and its various departments in a manner that is supportive of students and faculty needs; provides high-quality services; facilitates utilization of best practices in pedagogy and applications of educational technology; promotes student persistence and success; and fulfills the mission of the college.
- Collaborates with the academic schools, Student Services, and the non-academic offices/departments of the college to support faculty and students in achieving academic goals through the implementation of academic support services and learning technologies.
Provide Leadership to Online Learning Initiatives (40%)
- Provides College-level leadership for the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of online learning initiatives, aligning the direction and vision of online learning with the college’s strategic goals.
- Oversees the development and management of Virginia Western Online, a web-based gateway to promote and provide access to Virginia Western’s online programs, information for prospective online students and available support services for online faculty and students.
- Supports College processes to strategically develop new online programs to build an appropriate online program portfolio. In collaboration with faculty and deans, coordinates and facilitates course development utilizing approved technology-enhanced learning formats, including online, hybrid and mixed modality options.
- Promotes excellence in online learning through implementation of a robust quality assurance program.
- Organizes instructional design resources and activities in a manner that is responsive to institutional needs and priorities.
- Provides oversight to the administering and support of the College’s Learning Management System and other key instructional technologies.
- Collaborates with faculty, deans, academic administrators, Learning Resources Staff and the Department of Information and Educational Technologies (IET) to encourage and assist faculty with the integration of technology into teaching and learning processes.
Collaborates and Builds Capacity (15%)
- Develops, implements, and evaluates services, including new technologies, to support student and faculty instructional and/or research needs and in support of campus wide learning programs.
- Develops and enhances external partnerships including membership in appropriate professional organizations that support the Learning Resources unit and College’s online learning initiatives (e.g. ELET, OLC, Quality Matters, and EAB).
- Builds and strengthens relationships with key units across campus including academic schools, Institutional Effectiveness, Information and Educational Technology, Enrollment Center and Enrollment Management to expand online learning.
- Monitors changes and updates from NC-SARA, SCHEV, SACCOC and other relevant regulatory organizations that may impact online learning.
- Continually updates professional knowledge and skills in the areas of online teaching and learning, instructional technology, academic support, and academic libraries.
- Communicates with the Vice-President of Academic and Student Affairs on all proposals for new or revised program initiatives that may affect other departments and/or the college budget to insure that initiatives are in accord with the mission of the institution. Serves on college committees, upholds college policy, and represents the college within the VCCS and the broader community to include service on local committees and boards.
Develops and Administers Learning Resources Budget (5%)
- Maintains appropriate records, files, and reports as required for VCCS, college, state and federal agencies.
- Manages and evaluates resources, facilities and personnel in the library and other Learning Resources areas.
- In conjunction with the academic deans, assesses the College’s needs for resources, equipment, and technology related to academic support goals and learning outcomes; participates in the college budget process, inclusive of ETF monies; and, seeks external funding through grants, public-private partnerships, or other sources to support college and departmental activities.
- Manages compliance with licensing, copyright laws and regulations related to college-wide learning technology systems, software and services.
Last updated 08/2019