Position Number: FA045
Reports to: Associate Vice President of Institutional Effectiveness
This position is an integral part of the college-wide assessment and planning efforts in the Office of Institutional Effectiveness. Principal areas of leadership and support include the design and implementation of projects, surveys and research in service of curricular and co-curricular assessment of student learning; intervention design and outcome measurement for the improvement of learning; assessment data collection, management and reporting in service of institutional effectiveness. Provides support for the design and implementation of program level assessment of student learning. Conducts and coordinates qualitative and quantitative professional research and statistical studies in support of student learning in relationship to the College’s plan for Institutional Effectiveness. Serves in a professional staff capacity to the Dean of Institutional Effectiveness. The position is subject to significant communications with the College President, Vice-Presidents, Deans, college faculty and staff and a wide variety of State and VCCS officials. Administers planning initiatives for SACSCOC reaffirmation efforts and the design and execution of Quality Enhancement Plans as selected and defined by the college community for continuous process improvements.
Work Tasks & Duties
Planning & Assessment (30%)
- Gathers data and reports for the implementation of the VWCC Strategic Plan and VCCS Strategic Plan assessment activities to demonstrate and measure the extent to which the college is fulfilling its mission annually and over time.
- Gathers data and reports for assessment activities to demonstrate and measure the extent to which the college is meeting the goals for the institution and the departments within the organizational structure.
- Works with areas across campus to incorporate SACSCOC accreditation requirements into the planning and evaluation process of the college, where appropriate.
- Maintains records of the IE Plans and Assessment Reports submitted by departments on campus for academic assessment and college-wide assessment activities. Collects documentation that evaluation and assessment data is used to improve the college.
- Facilitates the development of a culture of evidence within the institution to ensure planning decisions are data-driven and supports the development and assessment of college-wide institutional goals, departmental goals and student learning outcomes.
- Coordinates faculty, staff, student, and related committees and task groups in the development of academic assessment activities, and in using assessment results for the improvement of student retention; student persistence in achievement of student goals; and improvement of degree programs, general education, developmental studies, and other aspects of the college’s curriculum.
- Creates data for institutional planning for budgeting, faculty productivity, regional demographics, strategic planning and initiatives, grants development, human resource/workforce planning and other institutional needs.
- Provides the student enrollment and student success data used in the program review process. Works with IEO staff to coordinate the annual meetings with program heads to conduct the reviews and attends these meetings to ensure the process is followed and
- that the committee understands the data that has been provided and that the committee has the data necessary to make informed program recommendations.
- Communicates with the Director of Grants Development and Special Projects, faculty, and staff on the development of grant proposals. Develops and provides data and reports for proposed program activities to achieve external funding from various sources.
- Assists with cooperative research and evaluation activities within the College and between the College and the VCCS. Provides data for grant initiatives, VCCS re-engineering initiatives, President’s evaluation and other research initiatives within the college and the VCCS.
- Develops and maintains information systems related to assessment efforts including faculty, staff and administrator qualifications; results of assessment activities; faculty-to-student ratios; and program offerings by location.
- Prepares and disseminates reports, research briefs, newsletters, and other communications within the college to ensure the college community has the necessary information to make informed, data-driven decisions.
- Conducts research projects, surveys and/or studies of College programs, services, and activities including, but not limited to, student services, instructional evaluation, student success efforts, instructional costs, faculty data, management policies, student learning outcomes, administrative/educational support outcomes, and program planning and review.
- Serves as central repository of statistical reports, and serves as a technical consultant to the faculty and staff in research activities related to their various functions or programs.
- Receives and fulfills requests from administrative and instructional faculty or from outside the college, for research data, e.g., questionnaires from educational and governmental agencies. Prepares reports as required by the VCCS, SCHEV, IPEDS and other agencies, to include facilities space utilization reports.
- Researches, collects, develops and provides data to assist in determining the educational needs of the Virginia Western Planning region and assists appropriate staff in transforming those needs into viable educational programs and services.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual profiles and any other reports requested by SACSCOC.
- Submits electronic institutional data to SACSCOC accurately and timely.
- Establishes and maintains documentation files and systems of all accreditation materials for SACSCOC, such as, reports related to the decennial review; accreditation committee reports; accreditation manuals, standards, and policies; schedules of all visits; and correspondence from accrediting offices.
- Trains faculty, staff, and students on the Commission’s accrediting policies and procedures, and with particular sections of the accrediting standards and Commission policies that have application to certain aspects of the campus (e.g., library, continuing education) especially when such documents are adopted or revised.
- Serves as a resource person during the decennial review process and helps prepare for and coordinate reaffirmation and other accrediting visits.
- Prepares the collection and notification of substantive changes and program developments in accord with the substantive change policies of the Commission.
- Coordinates the activities related to the development and implementation of the Quality Enhancement Plan. Prepares the data, reports and correspondence regarding QEP initiatives for reporting to college officials and SACSCOC.
- Develops and provides timely data for other accreditation initiatives, including, nursing, dental hygiene, imaging services, business programs, engineering programs, and other existing or new accreditation programs.
- Coordinates activities annually related to the governance/college committee structure including election of committee members and officers, annual meeting schedules, and meeting locations.
- Communicates college committee charges created by the Executive Staff annually.
- Works with the IEO staff to ensure that the college community is notified, through the Daily Bulletin, of proposed policy changes that are sent to the Executive Staff through the governance structure for approval and follows-up with notification when the policies are approved and posted to VW Connect.
- Serves on the Institutional Effectiveness Committee, the Institutional Review Board and other college committees as assigned.
Last updated 11/2012