Position Number: GA142
Reports to: Vice President of Institutional Advancement
The Coordinator of Development (Coordinator) serves the Foundation in effectively planning and administering fundraising and resource development operations. In support of the Vice President of Institutional Advancement, the Coordinator assists with the solicitation of donors, the operation and advancement of the accounting, development and scholarship software systems, the refinement and expansion of Foundation scholarships, the administrative aspects of the Community College Access Program (CCAP), the generation of the financial statement of activities and investment reports and annual budget and supervision of designated division staff. The Coordinator also facilitates the acquisition of financial resources, specifically through: the major giving college access campaign, planned giving, and prospect management. The Coordinator will conduct major giving prospect research and provide support to the Vice President in prospect management and solicitation. The Coordinator of Development supervises the Coordinator of Scholarship and Grants, the Development Operations Assistant, the RAMP Project Coordinator and any part-time student employees.
This is a restricted faculty position subject to the conditions of the Virginia Western Educational Foundation, Inc. The position is governed by VCCS Policy 3.4.2; Restricted Faculty Positions. Faculty rank and VCCS salary scales do not apply; however, salary will be commensurate with the VCCS Coordinator salary range.
Work Tasks & Duties
Financial and Administrative Operations (25%)
- Develops annual Foundation operating budget; monitors expenses and revenues throughout the year; reports updates as needed to the Vice President of Institutional Advancement and Finance and Audit Committee.
- Monitors and reviews the Financial Statement of Activities and Fund Balance Reports provided by the Bookkeeper.
- Monitors and reviews the Investment Portfolio Reports provided by the Investment Manager.
- Working with the Bookkeeper, provides all documentation necessary for the preparation of the 990 and any other tax-related issues.
- Organizes and ensures the effective execution and completion of the Foundation’s annual audit.
- Prepares payment requisitions and fulfills vendor invoices as needed.
- Working with the Bookkeeper and Development Operations Assistant, prepares monthly reconciliation reports.
- Prepares and submits required reports to funders and the Systems Office in a timely manner, making determinations for the Foundation calendar to include key dates.
- Manages the administration of the Financial Edge accounting and Raiser’s Edge fundraising software.
- Performs grant fulfillment reporting, invoicing and other record-keeping.
- Coordinates with the Finance and Audit Committee, in collaboration with the Vice President, and presents to the Board of Directors regarding development initiatives.
- Reviews the Foundation’s Handbook and Policy Manual and recommends when policies should be provided to respective committees for review and approval and following to the Board for approval. Updates and ensures the Foundation Handbook is distributed to the Board of Directors annually.
RAMP Project and Property Management (15%)
- Serves as the Foundation’s liaison to the Roanoke-Blacksburg Technology Council (RBTC) for the Foundation’s rental and landlord responsibilities of the Gill Memorial Building in support of the College’s investment in the accelerator (RAMP).
- Coordinates with the Foundation’s attorney and the Vice President to ensure the effective creation and execution of contracts including sublease agreements with the City of Roanoke, RBTC, Virginia Western Community College and other subtenants.
- Working with the Bookkeeper, prepares payment requisitions and fulfills vendor invoices for the facilities management functions of RAMP.
- Working with the College’s grants department, ensures accurate and timely reporting of data required for Foundation or College grants associated with RAMP.
- Serves on the RAMP Advisory Board and represent the College at events associated with RAMP as needed.
- Serves as the liaison to Workforce Solutions for RAMP-related programming.
- Supervises the RAMP project coordinator, who serves fulfills on-site property management functions and develops relevant educational programming.
Scholarship and Program Support Administration (15%)
- Oversees the creation of new scholarship and program fund agreements, ensuring consistency and adherence to Foundation policies.
- Budgets, analyzes and monitors scholarship and program fund expenses and revenues.
- Manages the administration of the Academic Works software.
- Oversees the administration of the Community College Access Program (CCAP), supervising the Scholarship and Grants Coordinator and Development Operations Assistant. The administrative aspect of CCAP include:
- designation of recipients of CCAP in coordination with Foundation Bookkeeper and the Vice President of Institutional Advancement;
- semester tuition payment to the College for CCAP students;
- the preparation of data and reports regarding CCAP student enrollment, retention and completion;
- the preparation of CCAP gift agreements, pledges, documents and public reports;
- coordination with selected representatives of the College’s student service staff, such as the CCAP academic advisors and recruiters regarding program administration and student success;
- presentations to parents, students, and school personnel regarding various facets of CCAP; and
- individual meetings with students and parents regarding CCAP.
Marketing and Public Relations (10%)
- Creates and oversees the production of marketing and advertising materials associated with the Community College Access Program and Educational Foundation scholarships.
- Oversees the production and serves as editor of the Foundation “Impact” magazine/annual report.
- Develops strategy for social media marketing for the Educational Foundation and Alumni Association; maintains Foundation and Alumni Facebook pages.
- Creates and oversees the production of quarterly e-newsletters targeted to donors and alumni.
- Serves as the Foundation’s webmaster by providing updated content for Foundation and Alumni websites; coordinates with the College’s web team in executing changes.
- Oversees the production of promotional videos highlighting student and alumni testimonials and premier Foundation initiatives.
Donor Stewardship and Research (10%)
- Participates in visits, as requested, with potential major donors and planned givers to set forth campaign goals.
- Actively reviews the financial status of scholarships and solicits funding as applicable.
- Ensures clear and professional communication with donors, overseeing the preparation of marketing materials, thank-you correspondence, pledge reminders and other Foundation outreach.
- Creates, maintains and searches databases and other sources to develop donor prospect lists; produces reports as requested using Raiser’s Edge.
- Supervises the Development Operations Assistant, ensuring the integrity of donor recordkeeping and financial reporting.
- Manages administration of the Raiser’s Edge fundraising software.
Strategic Planning (5%)
- Develops short-term and long-term fundraising plans and projections for the annual, CCAP and major gift campaigns.
- In cooperation with the Vice President, creates, prepares, revises and updates mission-critical development plans to address organizational and program needs of the Foundation and the College. Presents plans and supporting documents to the Foundation Board of Directors, Committee members and College officials. Administers plan details upon implementation and coordinate with the Vice President for continuous improvement.
Supervisory Functions (20%)
- Coordinates activities of Coordinator of Scholarship and Grants, the Development Operations Assistant, the RAMP Project Coordinator and any part-time student employees, mentoring and teaching as necessary.
- Provides supervision of Coordinator of Scholarship and Grants, the Development Operations Assistant, the RAMP Project Coordinator and any part-time student employees, including evaluation, and scheduling and approval of time and leave functions.
- Meets and consistently communicates with the Coordinator of Scholarship and Grants, the Development Operations Assistant, the RAMP Project Coordinator and any part-time student employees to assist in the achievement of Educational Foundation goals.
Last updated 07/2017