Position Number: FA093
Reports to: College President (00074)
As a member of the President’s Executive Team, the Associate Vice President of Institutional Effectiveness is responsible for providing leadership, expertise, direction, and support for the college’s mission, vision, values, and goals. The AVP oversees the planning and execution of key institutional effectiveness functions, including strategic planning, accreditation, research, and support of college and system initiatives. The AVP will actively promote an organizational culture that values and utilizes data when making decisions. With an eye towards continuous improvement and equity, the AVP champions a comprehensive, collaborative, effective, and inclusive communication and feedback strategy throughout the college community. As an administrator and college leader, the AVP works to establish and retain a high-quality IE Office team to provide a foundational resource for college strategies and initiatives.
Work Tasks & Duties
Leadership & Planning
- As a member of the President’s Executive Team, collaborates with college senior leadership to assess, develop, and implement strategies and initiatives in support of the college vision, mission, values, and goals.
- Carries broad responsibility for strategic planning and assessment, accreditation and compliance, institutional research, the college’s Institutional Review Board (IRB) and governance.
- Develops and maintains positive and effective working relationships across the college community to lead and support institutional initiatives, policies, and procedures.
- Leads the Institutional Effectiveness (IE) Office and staff in order to help shape the strategic direction of the college; ensures operational leadership for the IE Office, including things such as recruitment, performance management, coaching, professional development, and communication. Leads the IE staff in assisting others with how to best use and interpret data.
- Maintains strong relationships with Institutional Effectiveness leaders across the VCCS, participating in discussions, system meetings, and other activities as appropriate.
Strategic Planning & Assessment
- Maintains broad responsibility for the development, implementation, on-going assessment, and communication of the college’s Strategic Plan and related institutional goals.
- In collaboration with the President, facilitates the Strategic Planning Steering Committee to ensure routine, effective communication and progress-checks, as well as oversight of related sub-committees. Places an emphasis on broad involvement and feedback, to include the strategic planning website, stakeholder inclusion, and an annual strategic planning summit.
- Provides leadership and oversight for institutional assessment processes, including general education assessments, academic assessments, and support area assessments. Ensures that appropriate plans are developed, and results are collected, analyzed, used to make improvements, and communicated; identifies and monitors trends.
- Collaborates with academic leadership to facilitate the program review process for all academic programs; utilizes neutral perspective to navigate SWOT analyses, recommendations, and opportunities for improvement to strengthen sustainability.
Accreditation & Compliance
- Leads a collaborative effort for the successful re-affirmation of the college through SACSCOC.
- Functions as the SACSCOC Liaison, responsible for efficient, effective, and timely communications between the college and SACSCOC as well as with stakeholders within the college and VCCS. Ensures assignment of roles and responsibilities within the IE Office and broader college in support of required SACSCOC information
- Ensures a consistently current understanding of SACSCOC standards and interpretations; educates the campus-at-large and specific stakeholders as updates, additions, or revisions occur.
- Within SACSCOC responsibilities, facilitates the project and communication planning for each Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP).
- Collaborates with the IE Office and appropriate academic leadership to provide support, insight, and expertise to departmental accreditation processes.
- Ensures accurate, complete, and timely reporting as requested and required by the federal government, state, VCCS, or other regulatory bodies.
- Builds and maintains relationships across the college to enhance knowledge of current and planned initiatives, policies, processes, and challenges. Uses broad college view and expertise to act as a ‘connector’ between projects, departments, and individuals to help ensure the best use of our resources, data, and time.
- Leads the IE Office to assess, develop, refine, and respond to data/research requests by individuals or departments within the college.
- Collaborates with the President and Executive Team annually to review the governance structure and make adjustments to groups, charges, and/or objectives. Facilitates the overall governance process for the college, including membership, scheduling, workflows, and expectations.
- Oversees the process for ensuring college policies are updated on an agreed-upon schedule; maintains the associated schedule and repository.
Last updated 01/2021