Position Number: FA033
Reports to: Dean of Learning Resources (FA048)
The Administrative Officer for Instructional Design provides support services for college-wide uses of instructional technologies including delivering instructional design services to faculty, implementing key components of the college’s online learning strategy, and supporting student-centered learning environments through the innovative uses of technology.
Work Tasks & Duties
Delivers Instructional Design Services (40%)
Works with academic schools, individual faculty and staff in the delivery of instructional design services.
- Supports the use of best-practice methodologies associated with the application of various technologies to teaching and learning that support student success.
- Integrates technology into curricula.
- Develops and implements technology enhanced instruction.
- Designs effective and efficient face-to-face, hybrid, and online courses.
- Adopts and integrates low cost/no cost and open learning materials across the college working in collaboration with the Library’s Collection Development and OER unit.
Online Learning (25%)
Supports the implementation the college’s online learning strategy.
- Coordinates the college’s online learning quality assurance program including organizing the course review process, providing training to course reviewers, maintaining accurate and up to date program documentation.
- Provides instructional design services to faculty in creating, teaching or updating online courses.
- Develops online tutorials and learning supports for new and existing online students.
- Creates content and provide regular updates to Virginia Western Online gateway website.
Technology Enhanced Learning (25%)
Promotes student-centered learning environments through the innovative uses of technology
- Deepens and broadens use of existing instructional technologies (e.g. LMS / Lecture Capture / Web-conferencing)
- Identifies and promotes new instructional technologies that meet campus needs
- Evaluates and improves the use of publisher provided program and course specific online homework and instruction programs
- Manages lead Learning Management System
- Provides support to part-time Instructional Technologist and serve as back-up LMS Administrator
Capacity Building (10%)
- Continually updates professional knowledge and skills in the areas of technology enhanced teaching and learning, instructional strategies, assessments, learning technologies and project planning.
- Proactively seeks new opportunities to use instructional design to support key strategic initiatives at the college.
- Builds and maintains connections with other instructional designers across the VCCS and other appropriate entities in higher education.
Last updated 09/2018