ADD/ADHD is characterized by varying degrees of inattention, impulsivity, and/or hyperactivity. Students may have difficulty understanding assignments and staying on task.
- Allow the use of a tape recorder or note taker.
- Allow the student to sit where least distracted and maintain the same seat throughout the semester.
- The reading comprehension of some students with ADD/ADHD may be improved by listening to their textbooks on tape. Student Support Services can assist these students in obtaining their books on tape through Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic.
- Extended minutes for tests with no distractions may be appropriate.
- Extended minutes to complete assignments may be needed.
- Classroom behaviors such as fidgeting may be observed.
- Allow frequent breaks, if needed, especially in classes lasting more that 50 minutes.
- Social difficulties may be noted.
Please refer such students to the Office of Disability Services in S207 (857-7286).