Teacher Recertification Academy
Virginia Western Community College is committed to providing quality, relevant, and flexible programming to meet the professional development needs of educators in PK-12 schools of Virginia. Credit and non-credit courses for recertification are offered throughout the academic year with our most diverse and ample selection presented in our Teacher Recertification Academy.
The Teacher Recertification Academy is comprised of educational topics in core subject and specialization areas, instructional skills and technologies, language and communication, and concepts related to development, behavior, and student engagement. The substance or content of each renewal activity must be consistent with the license holder’s goal(s) for professional development and must clearly fit one or more of six domains of professional competency in education. License holders should choose, and advisors should verify, only those activities whose substance is clearly included within one or more of the following domains of professional growth:
- Curriculum or subject(s) specifically related to one’s assigned professional duties or responsibilities;
- Specialization area one serves or reasonably expects to serve, such as English, mathematics, history and social studies, sciences, career and technical education, or special education;
- Concepts, principles, and methods of effective teaching, supervision, and administration, such as classroom and behavior management, leadership skills, curriculum development, and administrative management;
- Concepts and principles of physical, intellectual, psychological, social, and emotional development of children and youth;
- Concepts and principles of communication, learning, exceptionality, individuality, and cultural differences, such as oral and written communication, motivation, retention, and individual differences; and
- Concepts and principles of effective relationships among schools, families, and communities.
For your convenience, course options vary in delivery formats and credits ranging from 1 to 3 credit hours each. Online and hybrid (blended classroom and online) courses are designed to offer scheduling flexibility, while traditional classroom and seminar courses provide opportunities to interact face-to-face with instructors and fellow colleagues.
Technology education seminars or short session classes are offered through the School of Business, Technology & Trades to provide many opportunities for updating skills or just for fun! These courses consist of two to five sessions scheduled afterschool or weekends and focus on the exploration and utilization of various technologies in the classroom. In addition to seminar classes already on the schedule, our School of Career & Corporate Training coordinates with local school divisions who wish to conveniently provide onsite custom seminars for teachers.
|Credit||1 Credit = 30 Points|
|Non-Credit||1 Contact Hour = 1 Point
(Online courses range from 24-160 hours)
Please consult with your school division’s licensure specialist to ensure that the course(s) you plan to take will apply to your specific professional development needs as defined by the Virginia Department of Education. If you would like additional information regarding Virginia teacher licensure renewal, please visit the Virginia Department of Education to access the VA Licensure Renewal Manual and important legislation updates related to licensure renewal requirements.
Credit classes are offered at an affordable in-state tuition rate, less than half that of most four-year colleges, Virginia Western is the premier choice for effective, economical, and accessible educational programming.
If you’d like to see what is available during a different semester, please visit our VWCC Class Schedule and use the Class Schedules by Type and Location link to quickly find Teacher Recertification courses.
How to Enroll
- If you are not currently enrolled at Virginia Western, or it’s been more than 3 years since you applied, complete an online application.
- Follow these steps to enroll in a class.
Our professional development options for teacher recertification also include online classes that vary in duration, scheduling, and low cost.
How to Enroll
- Browse the catalog section for Teaching and Education courses.
- Add selected course(s) to your cart, proceed to checkout, and follow prompts to create an account.
Teacher Licensure (Career Switcher Program)
Virginia’s Community Colleges offer a fast track alternative licensure program — EducateVA — a statewide initiative to address critical shortages in the teaching profession throughout the state, allowing you to bring your dream of teaching into reality. Since 2004, the EducateVA Career Switcher program has trained over 1,800 teachers!
EducateVA is ideal for people who have already earned a bachelor’s degree or higher, have three or more years of full-time work experience, and are looking for a practical, affordable route to becoming a teacher in the Commonwealth.
Through a combination of online and face-to-face Saturday classes, EducateVA is a flexible option for individuals working full or part-time, while they complete the first level of the program.
If you have questions, please contact the School of Career & Corporate Training at 540-857-6076 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location: Thomas Center –
3074 Colonial Ave., SW
Roanoke, VA 24015