- Prepares students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution to complete a baccalaureate degree in allied health programs such as nursing, health education or dietetics/nutrition
- Cohort is limited to 24 students
- Designed for students that have demonstrated strong Math and Science skills in their high school program
- High school aged 11th and 12th graders are encouraged to apply
Benefits to Students
- Earn college credits while in high school
- Gain valuable knowledge of exciting careers in healthcare industry
- Access to state-of-the-art labs
- Engage with and learn from seasoned faculty with significant experience
- Interact with Virginia Western and other high school students
- Applicants must meet the general requirements for admission to the college
- Students must complete the Academy Application and submit all supporting documentation noted in the application.
- Successfully complete the Virginia Placement Test (VPT). Scores on the VPT must equate to “Placed ENG 111” and MTE 1 – 9 (or equivalent).
- Students must meet the prerequisites for BIO 141 by
- completing high school biology with a C or higher and successfully completing the placement test for BIO 141, or
- completing BIO 101 with a C or higher through dual enrollment or on campus
NOTE: Students that do not meet the prerequisite for BIO 141 may complete BIO 101 during the summer session to be eligible for the Academy in the fall. BIO 101 is a four-credit course (lecture and lab) that prepares students for upper level biology courses and is transferrable.