In accordance with CFR 46.107
Main email: firstname.lastname@example.org
IRB Registration: #IORG0007317; expires March 3, 2024
FWA Registration: FWA #00020285; expires April 2, 2023
2020-21 IRB Membership
|Dr. Jolene Hamm||Chair, email@example.com|
|Lora Vasiliauskas||Co-chair, Social Science Areasfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Bill Work||Co-chair, Social Science Areasemail@example.com|
|Heather Lindberg||Science Areasfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Elizabeth Jamison||External email@example.com|
IRB Member Responsibilities
The Virginia Western IRB is accountable to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Human Research Protections for the oversight of all human subject research to ensure the ethical treatment of all human subjects. Virginia Western’s IRB must review and approve any funded or non-funded research related to human subjects whether or not it is funded internally or externally by private or government funds if the research is
- sponsored by Virginia Western;
- performed by or involves VWCC faculty, staff and/or students regardless of where the study is performed; or
- conducted using College-owned facilities or equipment.
The IRB functions administratively through the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
Research covered by this policy that has been approved by an IRB may be subject to further appropriate review and approval or disapproval by officials of the institution. However, those officials may not approve the research if it has not been approved by an IRB.
IRB Membership Criteria
- Virginia Western’s IRB is composed of at least five full-time employees, plus a community member. The IRB members provide varying backgrounds and expertise to comprehend the nature of the research, as well as other competencies necessary to interpret regulations, relevant law, ethical standards, and standards of professional practice.
- Members will be invited to join the IRB by the IRB Chair for tenure of at least two years. The term of appointment may be terminated by notice of the Committee member to the Chair or by notice from the Chair. If a member is unable to attend meetings or provide IRB input for an extended period, the Chair must be informed so that a replacement can be appointed. Tenure may be extended by recommendation of the IRB Chair and agreement by the member.
- The IRB will include both men and women, at least one member whose primary concerns are in science areas, one whose primary concerns are nonscientific areas, and at least one member who is not otherwise affiliated (either directly or through immediate family) with Virginia Western Community College.
- No person will be excluded from serving on the IRB based on sex, race, color, or national origin.
- No IRB member may participate in the IRB’s initial or continuing review of any project in which the member has a conflicting interest, except to provide information requested by the IRB.
- The IRB may, at its discretion, invite individuals with competence in special areas to assist in the review of issues requiring expertise beyond or in addition to that available on the IRB.
- A majority of the members must participate in each board action.
- IRB members do not receive compensation for their service.
IRB Chair/Co-Chair Responsibilities
It is the responsibility of the IRB Chair to:
- Ensure that the IRB complies with the responsibilities designated in CFR 46.107, to include:
- Maintaining IRB and FWA registrations
- Maintaining a log of training completion dates for all IRB members
- Documentation of meetings at least annually for the full IRB
- Timely response on all IRB applications, to include:
- Ensure all review submission materials are collected for board determination
- Initiate all board reviews
- Ensure a majority of members participate in all board decisions with a majority of those present in agreement of determination
- Sign and submit the IRB determination letter to the Principle Investigator and to college administration as appropriate
- Maintain copies of all research proposals reviewed, minutes of IRB meetings, records of continuing review activities, copies of all correspondence between the IRB and investigators, and statements of significant new findings provided to subjects
- In the absence of the Chair, these responsibilities devolve to the Co-Chair.
IRB Member Responsibilities
It is the responsibility of each IRB member to:
- Participate in required trainings and submit the Documentation of Education on the Protection of Human Subjects form to the IRB Chair. All IRB members are required to undergo formal training at the time of their initial appointment, and renew this training at least once every three years.
- Review all application materials as provided by the IRB chair.
- Protect the interests and welfare of research subjects.
- Help researchers comply with ethical requirements and with Federal and state regulations.
- Help protect Virginia Western Community College and its researchers from any potential liabilities to which they may be exposed.
- Actively participate in board actions and determinations.
Conflict of Interest
An IRB member is said to have a conflicting interest whenever that IRB member, member’s spouse, or member’s dependent child:
- is an investigator or sub-investigator on the project;
- has a “significant financial interest” in the sponsor or agent of the sponsor of a study being reviewed by the IRB, whereby the outcome of the study could influence the value of the financial interest;
- acts as an officer or a director of the sponsor or an agent of the sponsor of a study being reviewed by the IRB; or
- has identified himself or herself for any other reason as having a conflicting interest.
It is the responsibility of each IRB member to identify and avoid any situations in which he or she, either personally or by virtue of his or her position, might have a conflict of interest, or may be perceived by others as having a conflict of interest, arising in connection with a matter before an IRB of which he or she is a member. If assigned as a reviewer for a matter with which the IRB member feels that he or she may have a conflict of interest, the IRB member must notify the IRB Chair immediately so the matter may be reassigned to another reviewer.