Virginia Western Community College (VWCC) received $1,381,649 from the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2021 (CRRSAA).
VWCC received $1,381,649 from the Department of Education (DOE) pursuant to the institution’s Certification and Agreement [for] Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
As of, March 26th, 2021, VWCC distributed $1,385,500 in Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 314(a)(1) of CRRSAA Act.
As of, March 26th, 2021, VWCC processed Emergency Financial Aid Grant to 1,630** unique students under Section 314(a)(1) of CRRSAA Act.
*VWCC distributed 100% of these funds to students who had already established Title IV eligibility with respect to Section 484 of the Higher Education Act equaling a total of $1,385,500. There was no application required. VWCC sought to model the distribution of funds consistent with the methodology used to determine the amount of Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund ii (HEERF) VWCC would receive and two additional institutionally determined eligibility requirements.
86% of our funds were distributed to Pell eligible students and the remaining 14% were distributed to non-Pell eligible students as determined by EFC on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The student must be in at least 6 credits.
- The student had an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) between 0 and 10,000.
All eligible students (1,630) for Emergency Financial Aid Grants under Section 314(a)(1) of CRRSAA Act were awarded the same dollar amount ($850). Our method aimed to promptly make available emergency financial aid grants from the advanced funds directly to students for their expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child-care expenses.
Funds were disbursed directly to each eligible student in its entirety, no funds were held for possible debts owed to VWCC. Additionally, VWCC provided eligible students with this information:
As the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted college students across the nation, the federal government passed the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA) and included in it the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund II (HEERF II). This designated $1.38 million in emergency financial aid grants for eligible students at Virginia Western Community College.
Using guidelines provided by the federal Department of Education, Virginia Western has identified the population of students eligible to receive the funds, and this message serves to inform you that you are included in this population.
Financial aid grants for students may be used for any component of the student’s cost of attendance or for emergency costs that arise due to coronavirus, such as tuition, food, housing, health care (including mental health care) or childcare.
The amount that will be issued to you is: $850. The college will begin to issue these funds on Tuesday, March 26th, 2021 at noon, and you should expect to see them within 10 business days, depending on your current refund preference. Please verify your payment method prior to this date.
The IRS has offered guidance on the tax implications. These funds are not to be treated as taxable income. However, you should contact a tax professional with additional questions.
You will receive your funds either by direct deposit or a check will be mailed to the current mailing address on file. If you are already set up for direct deposit from the college and/or your mailing address is current and correct in SIS, then no additional action is required.
To review your refund options visit https://vwcc.afford.com/. If it is your first time setting up direct deposit, you will need to create an account by using the ‘Resend Registration Email’ using your school email account (do not use your personal email).
To check the mailing address the college has on file log into your MyVWCC account and click the SIS (Student Information System) tile. Then go to the ‘Student Center’ and scroll to the bottom of the page to review and edit your mailing address.
This information represents the most recent quarterly information as of April 1st, 2021.
*The total spent of $1,385,500 is greater than our outlined CRRSAA allocation as it includes remaining CARES Act dollars that were redistributed under CRRSAA Act guidelines.
**After a closeout process and applicable student outreach 1,629 students were awarded $1,384,650 direct to student aid.
For previous updates, visit the CARES Act Reporting Archive page here.