The Basic Rider 2-wheel course (RVH 130) is offered for one credit. The course provides classroom and actual motorcycle operator training in a controlled environment. This course is not eligible for financial aid and CANNOT be audited. Participants under 18 years of age should contact the DMV for information on obtaining a motorcycle learner’s permit and operator’s license.
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation certifies our Instructors/Rider Coaches. A valid automobile license or learner’s permit is required to participate in these courses. No previous riding experience is necessary for the Basic Rider Courses; however, a good sense of balance is required.
Trainer motorcycles are provided for the basic rider 2- wheel course. Bikes may include, but are not limited to: Suzuki TU25OXL9, Kawasaki Z125PRO, BMWG310R, Yamaha TW200, Yamaha VStar250, & Yamaha XT250.
Students are assigned motorcycles for the best fit possible for riding safety. There is a knowledge and a riding skills test at the end of the course. Passing these two tests earns the student a Completion Card and a Virginia licensing waiver, subject to VA DMV license requirements. The instructor has the final authority in determining if a student shall be permitted to participate in the riding portion of the course.
Students will learn:
- The basics: what to wear, how to start and stop your motorcycle, and motorcycle controls Street strategies to avoid trouble and stay safe
- How to maneuver a motorcycle in tough situations; swerving, avoiding collisions, special situations, lane changes, passing, and avoiding hazards
- Basic motorcycle operation
- Straight-line riding, turning, shifting and stopping Cornering, braking and swerving
For the riding portion of the course, students must provide the following protective gear. Students will not be permitted to ride without this protective gear.
- Helmet (The minimum coverage helmet required by the State of Virginia DMV is a DOT certified “three-quarter” helmet. Essentially, an open face helmet with hard shell material covering the ears fully. Even though DOT approved, “Half” or “Shorty” helmets do not meet the minimum coverage requirement and are not allowed use in the class.) Sturdy over-the-ankle footwear
- Long non-flare denim pants or material of equivalent or better durability
- Long-sleeved shirt or jacket
- Full-fingered gloves preferably leather
- Eye protection – sunglasses or prescription eyeglasses are acceptable
Class Times & Cost
Students MUST be on time for all class sessions. NO ADMITTANCE for late arrivals.
Friday: 6:00 – 9:30 PM
Saturday & Sunday (Single Session): 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Cost: VA Resident $170.09; Out-of-State: $370.19 (based on 20-21 tuition rates which are subject to change)
Multiple sections of the Basic Rider 2-wheel (RVH 130) course are scheduled each semester. You can view what’s available each semester by accessing the online Class Schedule. Select Recreation and Motorcyle Safety as the subject.
Traditionally, semester classes are scheduled as follows:
- Spring sections meet between mid-March through early May
- Summer sections meet mid-May through July
- Fall sections meet August through first week of November
Register and Pay
To enroll for the classes, follow these steps:
- Apply to Virginia Western.
- Register for the class by finding the 5-digit class number in the Class Schedule, then use these instructions to register.
- Pay for your class using one of these options.
For additional information or assistance with the registration process, call 24/7 Student Support at 855- 874-6690. If you need additional information about these courses, call the School of Business, Technology and Trades at 540-857-7272.