Dear Virginia Western community,
Last week, I shared with you details of a new grading policy and withdrawal period established by the VCCS during the COVID-19 pandemic in order to ease the burden on students as we adapt to an online learning environment. You can view information on those policies at: https://www.virginiawestern.edu/covid19/grading/.
The VCCS has made some revisions to the grading policy in an effort to clarify the process and equip our students for success during Spring Semester. Please see below:
- Students who withdraw themselves will receive a W.
- Students who are withdrawn on the final grade roster will get a WC.
- Neither the W or WC will impact a student’s GPA and both will be handled as a traditional W grade.
- The 60 percent work completion requirement for an Incomplete (I) grade has been removed
- Students who receive an Incomplete will have two semesters to complete it, making that work due by the last day of classes for Fall Semester 2020.
We have extended the withdrawal deadline in the Virginia Western system. Students can withdraw themselves in the Student Information System through May 8, 2020.
We will provide guidance on the implementation of these processes in the near future and will share those with you when available.
Thank you again for your patience as we navigate these changes. Students, please reach out to your faculty member or advisor if you have any questions.
Dr. Robert H. Sandel
Virginia Western Community College