Please Note: No matter the testing location or modality, students must present their Virginia Western Student ID or another government issued photo ID to verify their identity in order to complete the proctored activity.
Official Testing Centers
Virginia Western has two official testing centers where students can complete a proctored activity to fulfill an online course requirement at no charge:
- The main Testing Center is located in room B11 on the ground floor of Brown Library on the main campus. Students can come to the Brown Library Testing Center to take a test anytime the Center is open, no appointment is necessary. See the hours and contact information to the right.
- The Franklin Center in Rocky Mount, VA also serves as an official testing center for Virginia Western. Unfortunately at this time test proctoring is not being offered at the Franklin Center.
Students should not bring children with them when coming to take a test. Students should also know their Username and Password for their MyVWCC account. Click here for more about student testing responsibilities.
Alternative Proctored Testing Locations
Students who reside outside the Virginia Western service area (Roanoke City, Roanoke County, Salem, Craig County, southern Botetourt County, and Franklin County) or that face mitigating circumstances that pose a significant barrier to using one of the official Virginia Western Testing Centers listed above, may select an alternative proctored testing location.
Students choosing an alternative location must obtain prior approval from their instructor by submitting an Alternative Proctor Request Form (PDF) to their instructor. A separate form must be completed for each online learning course.
Students are responsible for any and all fees associated with using an alternative proctoring location or online proctoring service.
For more information see Off-Campus Proctored Testing Policy I-61.
Potential Proctoring Locations:
- Another Virginia Community College that has a campus testing center
- An educational institution, high school, college or university
- A private or commercial testing center
- Government institution (public library, government office, etc.)
- Students in the military should contact the education officers at their duty station
Note: Students with documented disabilities, who need to utilize alternative proctor locations, should contact the Office of Disability Services to discuss accommodations, proctoring options and payment waiver.
To contact the Testing Center by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.