Open Enrollment for Virginia Western’s Fall Semester available now
Virginia Western Community College announces that open enrollment for Fall Semester 2015 is currently available. Students can pursue more than 60 programs of study from Accounting to Wellness and will enjoy guaranteed transfer to four-year universities as well as hands-on career training. Students can visit www.virginiawestern.edu to learn more about what classes are available and to enroll. The first day of classes in the full 16-week session is Aug. 24 and the last day to register or add a class is Aug. 30.
Returning students have been able to register for Fall classes since April. New students must apply and take the Virginia Placement Test before registering for classes. Simple step-by-step instructions can be found at: http://www.virginiawestern.edu/admissions/newstudents.php.
New program offerings this Fall include Medical Lab Technology and Biotechnology. These along with other programs in the School of Health Professions and STEM prepare students for careers that are available now in the Roanoke Region. Virginia Western is also working with a national campaign to help more women pursue careers in STEM-related fields. The Fall Semester class schedule can be viewed at: http://www.virginiawestern.edu/classes/index_detail.php?selectedTerm=2154|Fall|Fall%202015.
In addition to the wide range of classes offered at Virginia Western, the college boasts a 70-acre campus, the largest single campus in the Virginia Community College System. Students can participate in clubs and activities as well as exercise in the new Fitness Center in the Student Life Center. Current students and alumni can sign up for internships and receive free career guidance and employment assistance in the Hall Associates Career Center.
Posted on June 17, 2015
in Campus News
Apply now for CT Career Studies online certificate program
The Computed Tomography Imaging (CT) Career Studies online Certificate Program application deadline is June 30, 2015. If you are a Registered Radiologic Technologist interested in advancing your professional skills, be sure to apply.
Posted on June 16, 2015
in Campus News
Manufacturing Town Hall open to public on Tuesday, June 16
Please join the Virginia Manufacturers Association and sponsor Optical Cable Corporation for a Roanoke Regional Manufacturing Town Hall meeting on Tuesday, June 16, from 9:30 a.m.-Noon at Virginia Western Community College. The event is free and open to the public, and will be held in the ground floor of Fishburn Hall in the HR Training Room. Parking is available in Lot 7 (campus map and directions). See the agenda below.
9:30 AM – 10 AM
Networking & Light Refreshments
10 AM – 10:15 AM
Welcome and Introductions
10:15 AM – 10:30 AM
VMA Legislative Scorecard and 2015 General Assembly Wrap-Up Report - Brett Vassey, President & CEO
10:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Roundtable with Manufacturers
- International Trade Development – How do we grow manufactured exports 50% by 2020? What resources are available to SMEs for international market development? Export financing? Export insurance? Are traditional economic development strategies working for existing businesses?
- Technology – Do Virginia’s tax policies punish industry for capital investment? How can companies use cybersecurity resources to harden systems and protect business continuity?
- Regulation and Labor – Is Federal Government regulation out of control?
11:30 AM – Noon
- Workforce Priorities Workshop – Industry-recognized Skills Credentials and the role of the Community Colleges, Private Schools and K-12 CTE & STEM Education. Resources for students and employers.
- Manufacturing Skills Institute & Dream It Do It Virginia: Closing the Workforce Skills Gap by 2020 and Inspiring Future Workers & Finding Funding - Katherine DeRosear and Vanessa Rastberger, Manufacturing Skills Institute
- Success Stories Within the Community College System – Dan Horine, Virginia Western Community College
Closing Comments – John Dyer, Optical Cable Corporation
Virginia Western Community College – Mechatronics Lab Tour (OPTION)
11:30AM – 12:00PM
Posted on June 15, 2015
in Campus News
Chapman Hall hours of operation changes during orientation periods
Please be advised that most services in Chapman Hall will be closed from 1 p.m.-4 p.m. on the days of Discover Orientation Sessions. If you need assistance from Admissions, Advising, Financial Aid, Records or Retention Services, please plan accordingly.
Discover Orientation Session dates:
- Thursday, June 4
- Tuesday, June 9
- Thursday, June 11
- Tuesday, June 16
- Thursday, June 18
Posted on June 1, 2015
in Campus News