Only 29 more days before our Virginia Western Keep Calm and Cure On team participates in Relay for Life.
We've raised over $890 so far! We are on our way to reaching our goal of $1500!
Want to help?
Please come hear the Advising Team structure and the current progress of Navigate on Tuesday, February 18 from 1-2 in the Natural Science Center.
Are you weary of winter? Then think about heading south with the Friends of the Arboretum to explore the beautiful, historic gardens of Charleston, South Carolina. Deadline to register is February 21, 2014. For trip information and registration, click here: www.virginiawestern.edu/arboretum
The department of eLearning and Instructional Technology (eLIT) will offer a series of instructional technology training sessions between Feb. 24 and Mar. 27. Here is the list of the training topics:
- Record Lectures and Tutorials using Panopto Lecture Capture System
- Create Online Web Meetings/Office Hours Using Blackboard Collaborate
- Brown Bag Session: Impatica for PowerPoint
- Respondus and Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Blackboard Course Content Management and Discussion Board
- Blackboard Online Testing
- Blackboard Grade Center
Detailed information about training session content can be found on the registration form. To register, please go to this page.
If you have any questions, please contact Carrie Halpin at CHalpin@virginiawestern.edu
Gain some insight on steps to take, questions to ask and resources to consider as you advise your "undecided" students. Attend an Advising the Undecided Student professional development session. These sessions will be held in the Natural Science Center on:
Monday, February 10 from 12-1
Thursday, February 13 from 2-3
- Friday, February 14 from 9-10
In accordance with new OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Act) standards regarding labeling of chemicals and other potentially hazardous materials, Virginia Western has released an online course available via the Knowledge Center titled “VWCC – OSHA New Labels and Safety Data Sheets Training (December 2013)”. This course is designed to fulfill the OSHA requirement that all employees must be trained on the new labeling system and Safety Data Sheet standards. This online course will take approximately 15 minutes to complete.
This training is in accordance with new OSHA standards to conform to a world-wide means of identifying and labeling chemicals and hazardous substances. This brings the United States into a communication system consistent with other countries around the world. The new system is called the “Global Harmonized System (GHS)”, and all American employers and employees are to undergo this training for and comply with the conversion to the GHS over the next two years. However, employee training on this new standard must occur now.
IMPORTANT: All current employees are required to complete this course as soon as possible. Instructions for accessing and completing the training are below. DO NOT USE FIREFOX/MOZILLA WHEN ACCESSING THE KNOWLEDGE CENTER. YOU MUST USE INTERNET EXPLORER.
SUPERVISORS: Please ensure all of your employees take this training course, especially those that do not have a VWCC Employee Email address. All full-time and part-time (including student, non-student and Federal Work-Study) are required to take this online training.
- Login to the VWCC Knowledge Center: https://covkc.virginia.gov/vwcc
- All Full-Time employees have KC accounts already established. If you are unsure of your Login ID and/or Password, please click the appropriate “Forgot….” link.
- Part-Time employees may or may not have a KC Login ID already established. If you are unsure of your Login ID, please click the Forgot Login ID link. If you are not able to find your Login ID, please do not create one. Email one of the three Human Resources employees listed below who will search for your Login ID. They will respond to you via email with either (1) your ID or (2) instructions on how to establish one. This additional step will prevent duplicate KC Login IDs from being established.
- Click Learning Center
- Click Course Catalog
- Enter Keyword VWCC in the Search Text box. Click Search.
- The following course will appear: VWCC – OSHA New Labels and SDS Training (December 2013). Click on the course link.
- Click Enroll
- Click Enroll one more time (Suggested: Leave Course Credit Option as Credit and Course Mode Option as Normal.)
- Click Access Item
- Another white internet page should display. It may take a few moments for the course to start playing. Please be patient.
- Once the training is complete, please click the X in the upper right-hand side of the screen.
- Click OK when you are asked “Are you sure you want to exit this course?”
After you have taken the course, to confirm that you have taken the course for credit:
- Login to the VWCC Knowledge Center: https://covkc.virginia.gov/vwcc
- Click My Workspace
- Click My Transcript
- You can view all of the courses you have taken through the Knowledge Center under Learning History
If you have questions or need assistance, please EMAIL ONE OF THE FOLLOWING --- Heidi McClintic HMcClintic@virginiawestern.edu, Sarah Miller SAMiller@virginiawestern.edu, or Carly Johnson CJohnson@virginiawestern.edu, in Human Resources.
Mark your calendars! Sale Coming Soon to the Virginia Western Bookstore February 20 - 21.
Focused Career Fair open to majors in:
***NURSING, MEDICAL, HEALTH TECH, LAB SCIENCES, FITNESS & WELLNESS RELATED PROGRAMS***
What: Health Care & Wellness Job Fair
Where: Multipurpose Room - Fralin Center
Register for this event in THE HALL CAREER CENTER- Thomas Center G202, 857-8798, email@example.com
Students & Alumni can come learn about current openings in the Health Care & Wellness fields in the Roanoke Valley, how to apply and get a chance to meet with employers face-to-face! Don't forget to come by the Career Center for information on Resume Writing or a Resume Power Hour for a quick critique prior to the event. For more information on Resume Power Hour times check out http://www.virginiawestern.edu/career_center/
When: Wednesday, February 26th, 2014; 12-3:30 (come & go event)
What is Atomic Learning?
It is an online training resource that is available 24/7 and open to ALL VWCC students, staff, and faculty. It delivers on-demand technology training on the use of computer applications, technology integration and professional development. Get answers to many of your "how do I do that?" questions about 200+ programs, such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Blackboard®, APA Style, and workshops and technology integration projects on emerging topics such as plagiarism, critical thinking, and online courses.
- Easy to access – access Atomic Learning through Blackboard
- Easy to search using keywords, specific applications, versions, and/or platforms.
- Easy to share - Faculty can share direct links in Blackboard to support necessary software or technical skills.
We have scheduled an online webinar about how to use Atomic Learning for faculty and staff on Thursday, Feb. 20 at 2pm. The webinar is about 30 minutes. We have reserved a conference room at Business Science Building M228. You are welcome to join us together to attend the webinar or you can access the webinar online from your office or home.
Topic: Atomic Learning for Faculty and Staff
Time: Thursday, Feb. 20, 2pm to 2:30pm
Location: Business Science Building 228
Or Access the webinar Online at:
1. Please join my meeting.
2. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.
Dial +1 (786) 358-5420
Access Code: 328-643-942
Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting
Meeting ID: 328-643-942
Please contact Carrie Halpin at CHalpin@virginiawestern.edu if you have any questions.