Please Congratulate Nickole Toler!

You probably know Nickole if you’ve spent much time in Chapman. She was serving as Onboarding & Financial Planning Specialist, but on April 25th, Nickole transitioned to a new position as the College Affordability Navigator. This position is funded by Get REAL, VWCC’s initiative to improve student outcomes by adapting to better serve adult and all other non-traditional learners through more relevant programmatic experiences, workplace readiness, organizational alignment, and fiscal stability.

In her new role, Nickole will serve as an internal and external connector — a hub that will connect adult and all other non-traditional learners with critical financial and community resources including federal aid, scholarships, employer assistance and supportive services. The mission will go beyond one-on-one service to students and will be key to institutionalizing affordability and financial literacy education throughout the college.

So, let’s get to know Nickole a little better . . .

Hometown: Trenton, New Jersey             

First job: Hardees

Proudest career accomplishment: Earning my Associate Degree after many years of having to put my education on hold.

Favorite music: All kinds of Christian music, country, and Jazz

Favorite TV: New York Undercover

If you had to pick one favorite movie: Coming to America

Any book recommendations? The Girl on the Train

Favorite Roanoke-area restaurant(s): Joe Goodpies, Cheddar’s, and Beamer’s 25

Favorite candy: Anything sour

I could talk for hours about . . . Plants and my children, but mostly plants.

Random fun facts (about you, pets, family, etc.)

• My oldest son attends ODU.
  • I have a pet named Lola who is a chihuahua and pug mix that weighs 18 pounds (she is round and happy)
  • I am a plant whisperer.
  • I own 17 plants on campus, 12 plus at home.
  • My baby son owns an old tv with a VCR attached.
  • I am an Autism Awareness advocate and an Autism mom!
  • My middle child plays basketball and runs track.
  • I love to dance in the rain in the summer!
  • I love nature.

Please summarize your educational/career background in just a few sentences. I graduated with my Associate’s degree from Virginia Western. Before working here, I worked in the medical field for years as a medical office assistant, Nursing Assistant, and New Patient Coordinator. I am currently working as a College Affordable Navigator.

What called you to VA Western? Based on my past experience as a first-generation student, I want to provide assistance that would have made my college experience smoother. I have a deep desire to help navigate the underserved population.

What would you like to accomplish through working here? Increase awareness of the many opportunites that Virginia Western has to offer to the community.

Please join us in congratulating Nickole Toler as she starts her latest adventure as the College Affordability Navigator! You can reach her directly at ntoler@virginiawestern.edu.