Family Photo in the Arboretum Contest is currently open and we have some great prizes for the winners!
We are looking for shots of your family in the Arboretum! Cell phone usies, Polaroid shots scanned in, or high end cameras- we want your Family Photos! Contest runs from October 20th - November 1st.
There are categories for amateurs and professionals. Look for the posted links for each submission category. Look for the Official Contest rules and guidelines on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TheCommunityArboretumAtVWCC
Like our page, Upload your photos, share with friends and you could win.
There will be at least 2 winners in each category (at least 18 winners)!
If you have any questions please check out our Facebook page or email Chantal Mullen - CFurr@virginiawestern.edu
Need a room for a meeting or event? It's easy to find the room you need. The college's online calendar and reservation system is fully automated so you can find what you need, when you need it.
If you need the room unlocked or support from the Media Geeks please be sure to include that under the Resources section.
Note: Whitman Theater is room M106, HR Training Room is room F002 and the Natural Science Center is N101.
Contact Tara Nepper with any questions.
The 2014 Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign (CVC) is well under way! Our goal at Virginia Western is to raise $1,500 to help CVC reach their statewide goal of $3,700,000! There are multiple ways you can give and no amount is too small! You may choose to donate by a paycheck deduction; lump sum donation; participation in the Chili Cook-Off/Halloween Costume or Auction for Animals fund raising events; donating a gently used item for auction; or by bringing in much needed non-perishable food items and pet supplies.
There are thousands of CVC Charities to choose from, but which charity speaks to your heart? Click here to view testimonials of three of our employees whose real-life experiences have led them to champion a charitable organization.
Don’t forget, our weekly drawing will be Friday, October 24th for those employees who have submitted a paper pledge card to Marla Whiteside in FAS!
Congratulations to the winner of last week’s drawing: Dorrisa Williams
Bend it with Yoga classes!
The Fitness Center will be offering FREE Yoga classes for all currently enrolled students, faculty & staff!
What: Free Yoga
Where: The Fitness Center
When: Mondays 1:30-2:30pm & Wednesdays 5:30-6:30pm
Mats & blocks are provided. No registration required, 30 person limit per class. For more information contact the Dani van Vierssen at 540-857-6570 or email@example.com
VRS wants you to be aware that National Save for Retirement Week is October 19th – 25th. During this time, explore ways you can save for retirement such as increasing your voluntary contribution to the Hybrid retirement plan (mandatory plan for new full time VRS members as of 1/1/2014), or to a 457b or a 403b. VRS states, “…even a little now will help greatly in the long term.”
Webinars are being offered for employees in the Hybrid or are enrolled in the Commonwealth 457b plan. Visit www.varetire.org for more information or to voluntarily enroll in a 457b plan.
If you have any questions, please contact Denise Schuh in Human Resources at 857-7962.
Please be aware that on October 28, 2014 the Staff and Faculty parking area of Lot 15 will be closed for the entire day. The college will be hosting two important back to back public service events in Whitman Theater on this date. These events will require parking for a variety of speakers and dignitaries as well as parking for a number of media/satellite vehicles. The first event beginning at 8:00 AM is a forum called "The Face of Human Trafficking" organized by the 23 Judicial Districts Court Services Unit (although public, sign up is required http://www.streetevent.org/). The second event beginning at 2:00 PM is a free public seminar about the Ebola Virus. This second event is a collaborative effort between Virginia Western and the Virginia Department of Health.
On Wednesday, November 12th, from 10:00am - 2:00pm, in the Natural Science Center, you will have the opportunity to help local animals from the Roanoke Valley SPCA and the American SPCA.
The Commwealth of Virginia Campaign Committee is holding a Silent Auction and we need your items!
Are you crafty or artistic? Donate an item you have made.
Are you cleaning out your basement? Maybe you have gently used items you no longer need or want. Donate those!
Did you get a gift from someone that is "just not you"? Donate it to a worthy cause!
Do you have your own business? Donate an item from your inventory or a gift certificate.
Please contact Faith Janney (firstname.lastname@example.org or 76332) or Melissa Williams (email@example.com or 76139) if you have questions or items you would like to donate.
Thanks so much for your help!
TWO-DAY SALE COMING SOON!!
Visit us October 21st-22nd and save on select merchandise!!
Library Circulation services are located on the top floor of the Brown Library Building. Services supporting faculty include:
- Course Reserves: Materials that you and the division office staff provide for your students to use in the library or for short checkout periods. Materials may include, but are not limited to, textbooks, fiction and non-fiction books, audio/visual materials, course readings, and physical objects, such as rocks for Geology and skulls for Dental Hygiene. Contact Jim Gettys by phone 857-6941 or by e-mail.
- Assignment Alert!: When you let us know about your assignments in advance of your students coming to the library, we can identify relevant print and electronic resources to support the assignment and provide thoughtful, meaningful assistance to your students. Please see the Faculty Services Infoguide for additional information.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL): Allows you and your students to obtain books, journal articles, and other materials that are not available in Brown Library. Faculty requests are honored for materials used for work-related inquiry or to support the mission of the college. The library website has ILL request forms you can submit online or feel free to contact Faith Janney by phone 857-6332 or e-mail.
- Magazine Route: You can request to have a print magazine or journal regularly sent to your office when it comes off the current periodical racks, then send it back to the library when you finish reading it. Contact Pam Conner by phone 857-7314 or by e-mail.
The Brown Library Circulation staff looks forward to assisting you and your students!
Employee flu vaccine appointments are now being scheduled for a VWCC onsite clinic to be held on October 22, 2014!
COVA health plan members can receive free flu vaccine utilizing your prescription benefit in one of two ways:
- Pharmacist ONSITE at Virginia Western Community College by appointment:
Human Resources Training Room, Fishburn Hall Ground Floor
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- All employees and retirees, their spouses and covered children are welcome!
- Children age 9 and under must have a prescription to receive the vaccine from their doctor.
- Plan members who bring a driver’s license and their COVA health insurance card will receive flu shots at no cost!
- There is a $31.99 charge for employees without insurance.
- Appointments will be made in five (5) minute intervals. Please arrive five (5) minutes early to allow time for forms completion.
For an appointment, contact Denise Schuh at either 857-7962 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- By participating pharmacies:
Flu shots will not be covered when administered by a non-participating pharmacy, non-approved onsite Virginia Department of Health visit, or third party vendor at the pharmacy. Be sure to verify with the pharmacy before you have your flu vaccine that they offer it at no cost with your health care plan.
You can receive a free flu vaccine by your physician at a doctor’s office and it will be covered as part of your wellness benefit under your major medical; however, you may pay for the doctor’s appointment.