The Classified Staff Outstanding Achievement Award Committee is requesting nominations for the 2014 Classified Staff Outstanding Achievement Award. The deadline for submitting nominations is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 26, 2014.
Each year, three (3) eligible employees are selected to receive this award based on exceptional achievements, extraordinary accomplishments, outstanding initiative or superb performance resulting in significant benefits to Virginia Western Community College. This award is designed to acknowledge significant, specific contribution or accomplishment beyond regular expectations of an employee or beyond normal work duties. Group awards are permissible but are subject to policy provisions.
This year, nominations will be received by Human Resources through 5 p.m. on September 26, 2014. During the nomination period, eligible employees may be nominated for accomplishments and achievements that would merit an outstanding achievement award through such criteria as:
- Completing a major project under budget.
- Consistently providing exceptional customer service to internal or external customers.
- Completing a major project before the deadline under extraordinary time pressure.
- Developing and implementing strategies to resolve a work unit problem.
- Contributing to a one-time, outstanding effort, which benefited the work unit or the college.
- Specific accomplishment that improves internal processes, saving time or money.
- Resourcefulness, initiative, on-going contributions or other standards of excellence that assist the college achieving its mission.
In order to be nominated an employee must meet these eligibility requirements:
- Have attained non-probationary employment status in a full time classified position.
- Part-time wage employees must have at least one year of service. Part-time employees with a job code in the 89000 series are not eligible.
- Have no active Written Notices; and for part time wage employees, no disciplinary actions taken by the supervisor within the previous year.
- Not be a 2012 or a 2013 former recipient of the Award (an employee may only receive this Award once every two years). Those employees are: Mayra Vazquez-Miller, Pam Conner, Kalyca Schultz, Sandra Kelly, Faith Janney, James Gettys, Joan Ayers, Sandy Holland, Sue Clark, or Brenda Fichtner.
- No provisions of this policy may be waived without the approval of the Human Resources Director.
Any VWCC employee may nominate an eligible employee for the award by completing a Classified Staff Outstanding Achievement Award Nomination Form and returning it along with the supporting documentation to Denise Schuh in Human Resources by the deadline date and time established. The committee will review the nominations and decide which employees will be awarded this honor based on a standard set of ranking criteria. The awards will be presented at the Employee Service Award Ceremony which is scheduled for Monday, January 5, 2015 at 2 p.m. in the Whitman Theater. Individual recipients of the award will receive a monetary award of $500, a trophy, and a certificate of appreciation. Group awards will vary.
To obtain a nomination form, visit VWConnect/Human Resources/Forms/Recognition/2014 Classified Outstanding Achievement Award Nomination Form. If you have questions, please contact Denise Schuh in Human Resources at 857-7962.
If you would like to post a Federal Work-Study (FWS) position for the Fall 2014 term, please submit personnel requisitions to Adam Bailey in the financial aid office as soon as possible. The Personnel Requisition Form can be found on VWConnect under HR Forms, or email Adam at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy.
What is Workers' Compensation??
In the event that you should have an accident or illness that arises out of and in the course of your employment at VWCC, you should report the accident or illness to your supervisor and the Human Resources Department immediately. The Workers' Compensation Coordinator for our agency is Heidi McClintic.
- For medical attention of a non-emergent nature, an employee must select a physician from the college's Panel of Physicians Form.
- Employees sustaining serious (life threatening) injuries should contact Campus Police (857-7979) and/or 911, and seek medical attention at the closest emergency room. Immediately upon stabilization of the injury, the employee should seek follow-up treatment from a physician on the Panel of Physicians Form.
Workers' Compensation claims are subject to approval by the Commonwealth's Workers' Compensation administrator (currently MC Innovations) and the Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission.
Please contact Heidi McClintic (email@example.com or 857-6331) in the Human Resources Department for additional information concerning Workers' Compensation.
Employee Achievement Day
Natural Science Center
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Remember when we were growing up our parents always taught us that you shouldn’t brag about yourself because it wasn’t socially acceptable? During Employee Achievement Day we are going to break the rules and get caught red handed bragging not only about ourselves but our peers as well! Take the time to brag about your peer and don’t forget let’s not be modest and share with us your achievements on the “Caught Red Handed Bragging Board”! Virginia Western has a lot to brag about their employees so let’s fill up this board! The completed recognition board will be displayed at the schools and divisions throughout the college on a rotating monthly schedule over the next year. Be sure to check it out!
Achievement Day is also a time to recognize that you tirelessly serve college customers each and every day; therefore, on this day our presidential staff and deans want to serve you… ice cream! Our ice cream scoopers will provide you with the base of a sundae for you to make on your own with a variety of condiments that will be available to build your perfect sundae!
Out of our ice cream scoopers, who will be the super scooper? Will it be Dr. Sandel, Dr. Wilmer, Cheryl Miller, Debbie Yancey, Amy Anguiano, Lori Baker, John Anderson or Carole Graham? Make sure to recognize these “scoopers” by completing a red hand in their honor! We have a lot to brag about these extraordinary employees!
We hope you enjoyed the TOTAL workshops this past summer and spring. The Fall 2014 listing has been created and faculty engaged to teach the workshops. The schedule is below:
Workshop Title & Course ID Read the rest of this entry »
Trooper Donna Lockliear with the Virginia State Police Sex Offender Investigative Unit is raising donations in support of Virginia Special Olympics. If she can raise $1,000.00 she has agreed to rappel down the side of a Richmond building. Trooper Lockliear states, “I don’t like heights but it is for the Special Olympics and hopefully I will conquer a fear!” Your donation would make an athlete and their family very happy. For those who don’t know, Trooper Lockliear has built a very strong and trusted relationship with Virginia Western (especially the CARE/Threat Assessment Teams) and has been our go to person when we as a college deal with issues related to sexual offenders.
Any and all help is appreciated!
VSP Division 6 - Special Olympics Donation
Craig S. Harris
Chief of Police