Do you have a work study in your area who could use some hours due to snow days? The Alumni Association will be hosting an Open House in the Fralin Center on Saturday, March 29th, 1-4 p.m. Volunteers are needed to assist with set up on Friday afternoon and on Saturday. Please have your work study contact Ruth Cassell (email@example.com) to sign up.
March 19, 2014
The membership drive for the VCCA is upon us, which means that it’s time to join or renew your Virginia Community College Association membership!
Membership and participation brings together all those interested and involved in the mission of the VCCA through individual commissions that comprise the Association. The six commissions are Black Concerns, Faculty & Instructional Affairs, Learning Resources, Public Relations & Publications, Student Services and Support Staff. Along with the annual conference, individual commission activities and networking, VCCA showcases outstanding faculty, staff and media annually.
Read more about the membership drive in this letter from The VCCA Executive Committee:
Link to membership application:
Please send completed membership application with dues to Dana Asciolla in the Workforce Department.
"I never thought I would need supplemental cancer insurance. I wish I had taken advantage of it before I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Our insurance through the state is very good but it doesn't cover all costs associated with cancer treatment." Tara Nepper
Only 28 more employee visits needed for a 32" Flat Screen TV Raffle!
A representative from Washington National (formerly Conseco) Insurance Co. will be at the college on March 18-20 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Human Resources Testing Room representing new life benefits and supplemental health benefits. In 10 minutes the representative will review their plans and special money back provisions. No appointment is needed. As this is a work-related event, no leave usage to attend is required; however, as always, please check with your supervisor for approval to attend.
Everyone that comes by for a one-on-one presentation the vendor will provide a free gift with no obligation to purchase. The vendor is also providing breakfast food and a special food treat on St. Patrick’s Day. Washington National states if they see at least 40 VWCC employees that they will raffle off a flat screen TV.
The following is an excerpt provided by Washington Mutual:
Top 10 Reasons why you should visit with your Washington National Representative on
March 18-20 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Human Resources Testing Room
- Washington National (formerly Conseco) Insurance Company (WNIC) will return all your premiums back to you if you don’t use the benefit. (Ask your rep for more info).
- WNIC Solutions Cancer protection …with Return of Premium (Get your money back)!
- WNIC Pulse Protection Heart & Stroke plan …with Return of Premium (Get your money back)!
- WNIC Accident plan …! Great protection for families with children!
- WNIC Term Life Assure and Universal Life Insurance plan …with coverage for the whole family!
- Designed to help protect you against the potential negative financial impact catastrophic illness can have on your family’s future!
- Competitive group rates for you and your family…
- WNIC (formerly Conseco) has been providing supplemental benefits to Virginia State Employees for over 50 years!
- Free gifts for just listening to our presentation!
- If we see 40 employees a Flat Screen TV will be raffled!!!!!
As the vendor is an approved Fringe Benefits Network Provider, if you are a full-time employee, premiums may be taken from your paycheck on a post-tax basis.
Please contact Denise Schuh at 857-7962 with any questions.
Know someone who is thinking about transferring?
Invite them to come to Virginia Western's Transfer Fair, March 19, from 9:30am - 2:30pm in the Fralin Center (HP210).
Meet with admissions counselors from schools all across Virginia like, Virginia Tech, Radford University, Liberty University, Old Dominion, VCU, Roanoke College, Ferrum College, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, Hollins University, and many more!
Come learn about specific programs offered at four-year schools and have your questions about transferring answered by representatives from the schools you are interested in attending.
Contact Steven Chichester in Chapman 105 with any questions.
Last Day to Register/Add a Class - January 13 Last Day to Drop and Receive a Refund - January 24
- Last Day to Withdraw Without Grade Penalty - March 21
The last two sessions originally scheduled for this topic were snowed out. So, if you didn't get a chance to attend before, please plan to attend one of the two rescheduled sessions on advising undecided students. Rhonda Perdue and Mandy Garcia will share tips and insights to help guide these students.
- Thursday, March 20 from 2-3 in Webber 311
- Friday, March 21 from 9-10 in Webber 311