The Financial Aid Office will be closed for the entire day on Monday, September 23, for an all day meeting. The office will reopen for regular business hours on Tuesday, September 24.
September 16, 2013
Human Resources is currently accepting applications for the following positions:
- Administrative and Office Specialist III (BTT)
- Deadline: 9/20/2013 by 5pm (EST)
- Dean of Learning Resources
- Deadline: 9/30/2013 by 5pm (EST)
- Testing Center Assistant (Part-time)
- Deadline: 9/23/2013 by 5pm (EST)
For more details about our application process and/or to complete the online application, please visit our website: www.virginiawestern.edu/hr and select "CAREER OPENINGS". Feel free to contact HR, 857.7282, with any questions!
The Virginia Western Employee Giving Campaign We Are Western '13
For your participation, you will receive a We Are Western button to display your support. You will also entered to win one of our great prizes:
- We Are Western '13 T-shirts (back by popular demand)!
- Gift certificates to local restaurants
- Gas cards
- ...and one of our grand prizes!
Donations fund the Employee Annual Giving Scholarship, Employee Family Scholarship, Student Emergency Fund, Student Book Fund, CCAP or any other initiative of the employee’s choosing. The goal is 100% employee participation, and no gift is too small!
A prize drawing will be held this week, and we need your contribution by noon on Wednesday, September 18 to be entered into the first drawing.
All Virginia Western faculty and staff should have now received a letter explaining the 2013 Employee Giving Campaign and how to participate. Learn more online at www.virginiawestern.edu/foundation/giving/empgiving.
If you have any questions, please contact Erik Williams at 857.8914 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for being part of our family and supporting our students! We Are Western!
Faculty: Need to select an assignment to submit for the general education assessment process? Below is a summary of the assessment criteria developed by faculty groups for each of the gen ed competencies. The full assessment rubrics are available at http://virginiawestern.edu/about/ie/academicmanual.php .
- Organize content in a logical order
- Create a well-stated thesis
- Create well-developed paragraphs supporting the thesis
- Create a well-developed conclusion
- Use proper grammar, spelling, and sentence structure
- Use proper word choice
- Identifies and summarizes issues
- Identifies and questions the validity of the key assumptions
- Quality of evidence
Cultural and Social Understanding.
- Understanding of one’s own culture
- Understanding of other cultures
- Understanding of differences between cultures
- Understanding of differences between groups within a culture
- Locate and evaluate appropriate academic information
- Evaluate and incorporate selected information effectively
- Document sources correctly
- General knowledge of physical well-being
- Utilizes knowledge of personal well-being to inform goal-setting
- General knowledge of emotional maturity
- Exhibits emotional maturity when making social, personal, and interpersonal decisions
- Interpretation. Can the student answer questions directly related to the information provided?
- Analysis. Can the student use the information provided to draw conclusions about a related topic?
- Problem Solving. Can the student set up the problem and solve it correctly?
- Translate Information. Can the student correctly translate information from the problem into mathematical symbols, graphs, or tables?
- Formulate a hypothesis
- Collect data
- Analyze data
- Draw accurate conclusions based on data
The Virginia Western Latin Movements club is starting the free salsa lessons again this semester.
All students, faculty and staff are welcome! No experience or partner necessary!
Instructor: Edgar Ornelas
When: Tuesdays from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm
First lesson starts Tuesday, September 17th
Where: Humanities H100 (gym)
Can't get to the DMV? The DMV is coming here!
The DMV mobile unit will be in parking lot 1 in front of the Natural Science Center on Thursday, September 19th, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The wireless office on wheels offers all DMV services:
- Apply for or renew your ID card - children and adults.
- Apply for or renew your driver's license - take road and knowledge tests; get your picture taken, reinstate driving privileges.
- Get a copy of your driving record.
- Obtain vehicle titles, license plates, decals, transcripts.
- Order disabled parking placards or plates.
- Recently moved? Stop in to upgrade your address on your DMV record. At the same time you can update your voter registration address and organ donor status.
- And much more!