BRAIN PATTERN STUDY
The Human Neuroimaging Laboratory at Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute (VTCRI) located in Roanoke, Virginia would like to invite you to participate in a variety of groundbreaking studies!
- Eligibility: healthy adults, age 18-64
- Compensation: at least $20.00
- Primary goal: To study the response of the normal brain to patterns of stimuli, rewards, and decision-making
- Institute sponsor: Human Neuroimaging Laboratory labs.vtc.vt.edu/hnl
- Study timeframe/duration: 1-3 hours per visit
If you are interested in volunteering, please visit: http://vtcri.info/jkzexq
To contact us via e-mail: email@example.com; or call 540-526-2034
The Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute is conducting a brain imaging study on cigarette smokers. Eligible participants must meet the following criteria:
- Current smokers, age 18-55
- Smoke at least 5 cigarettes per day
- Have been smoking for the past year
You will be compensated for your time. Eligible participants typically make $50 for the first session and $30 for the second session, with the potential to earn an additional $75. We have two locations, Blacksburg and Roanoke, and scheduling is very flexible to best accommodate your schedule. If interested, please contact Andre at 540-526-2068 firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
OEF/OIF VETERANS NEEDED FOR FMRI STUDIES
- Deployment impacts veterans in many ways
- We use new FMRI technology to understand how deployment can affect the biology of the brain
- Have the study described and questions answered by study staff before deciding to participate
- Participate in a videotaped interview about your life experiences
- Fill out some questionnaires
- Complete computer tasks during an fMRI scan which may include:
- Viewing positive, negative, & neutral images- including some that are combat related
- Playing simple computer games
- Be asked to provide a saliva sample for genetic analyses
- Receive a CD copy of your structural brain scan
- Be compensated $15 per hour for the interview & questionnaire session and $20 or more for the fMRI scan depending on how you play the game
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- OEF/OIF Veterans who are:
- Between 18 & 64 years old
- Free from metal in their body
- Not claustrophobic
(540) 526-2032, email@example.com, http://info.vtc.vt.edu/vets
Open enrollment is a time to make changes to your health care and to continue or begin a flexible reimbursement account. This year, open enrollment will begin May 1, 2013 and will end on May 24, 2013. The changes and/or enrollments you make will effective on July 1, 2013. Significant changes will be occurring for the upcoming plan year including in part:
- A new health plan offering called COVA HealthAware.
- Upon completion of certain requirements, Premium Incentives and/or Premium Rewards for employees and their spouse.
- Major change to the basic dental plan – basic dental will now only include preventative services.
- Provider changes for the prescription plan and the flexible reimbursement accounts.
- Provider change for disease management and other programs.
- Premium increases.
- New card issued for all members.
- Plus more!
During the week of April 22nd you will be receiving at home the Department of Human Resources (DHRM) “Spotlight” newsletter detailing plan and provider changes including the new monthly premiums. Review this information carefully and let’s get together and discuss the changes:
Open Enrollment Sneak Peek
Thursday, April 25, 2013
Human Resources Training Room, Fishburn Hall
Open Enrollment Sneak Peek
Monday, April 29, 2013
Human Resources Training Room, Fishburn Hall
Two separate sessions: 9 a.m. and also at 2 p.m.
If you have any questions, please contact Denise Schuh in Human Resources at 857-7962 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DHRM will be hosting an employee regional open enrollment meeting on May 6, 2013 at 11 a.m. in the Whitman Theater.
- Additional open enrollment meetings will be facilitated by VWCC during open enrollment on May 8th, 20th, and 21st. Look for details on upcoming Daily Bulletins.
- One-on-one open enrollment counseling sessions may be requested by contacting Denise Schuh.
On April 26, 2013 at 2:00p.m, Domino's will close for the Summer. Also, Java The Hutt will close at 2:00p.m. as well. However, Java The Hutt will open for exams from M-Thurs from 7:00a.m to 12:30p.m.
Friday, April 26, 2013
Saturday, April 27, 2013
- Physicians on Foot (8:30am) @ The Greenway in front of Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. Numerous Carilion Clinic physicians are lacing up their walking shoes alongside the public in the "Physicians on Foot" weekly walking program. For info - www.carilionclinic.org/walking
- Vinton Dogwood Festival (8:30am – 10pm) @ Roanoke Co Central Middle School. For more info - www.vintondogwoodfestival.org/
- Workshop: Street Photography (10am –12pm) @ O’Winston Link Museum. For more info – www.downtownroanoke.org/do/workshop-street-photography
- Party For the Planet (11am – 4pm) @ Mill Mountain Zoo. Come celebrate Earth Day with a Party for the Planet. For more info – www.mmzoo.org
- City Market Saturdays (11am – 2:30pm) @ Downtown Roanoke. For more info - www.downtownroanoke.org
- Blacksburg Fork and Cork (12pm – 6pm) @ Downtown Roanoke. The Blacksburg Partnership presents Blacksburg Fork and Cork, A Food, Wine and Art festival. For more info - www.blacksburgforkandcork.com
- Rockin’ Brew’s & BBQ at SML (12pm – 6pm) @ Downton Moneta. Live music, beers and BBQ! For more info - www.visitsmithmountainlake.com/
- Free Weekly Wine Tasting (12pm – 5pm) @ Mr. Bill’s Wine Cellar
- Salem Red Sox vs. Lynchburg Hill Cats (6:05 pm – 9pm) @ Lewis Gale Field www.salemredsox.com. Arrive early to see Virginia Western President, Robert Sandel, throw out the first pitch. Get in free with your current Virginia Western ID.
- GLOBAL YOUTH SERVICE DAY For a list of all volunteer opportunities, please visit our website at www.fsrv.org/gysd
Sunday, April 28, 2013
EVERY WEDNESDAY ULTIMATE FRISBEE Roanoke Ultimate (Frisbee) Weekly Pickup - Every Wednesday, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm @ River's Edge Sport Complex South - Field 4. For info - www.roanokeultimate.com.
FORT LEWIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PTA CARNIVAL AND AUCTION is on Friday, May 3, 2013. There will both a silent and live auction. Live music will be provided by TRU GRIT. The festivities will begin at 5:30PM until ??. Dinner is $5 per person and activities are 4 tickets for $1. “All Inclusive” wristbands are also available. For additional information, and to see a listing of items being auctioned off, please visit (and like) the following Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/hjhm514#!/flescarnivalandauction
DODGEBALL TOURNAMENT May 4th at Cave Spring High School. $5 per player (8 min on team), $3 admission. All proceeds support Knights Booster Foundation Scholarships. Contact Karin Colozza (email@example.com) to sign up.
WOODBRIDGE NEIGHBORHOOD COMMUNITY YARD SALE is on Saturday, May 4, 2013. If you have not stopped by this MASSIVE neighborhood yard sale in the past, you will not want to miss it this year. Take Main Street in Salem, to Mill Lane (by Sheetz, across from Salem High School), and then follow the signs (or the cars) to this impressive event. The sale is from 8am until ????.
“MMMOVE” My Motivation Movement (MMMOVE) - It's about helping people connect with others in the Community, find joy in Fitness, and improve their Health. 3 Miles • You vs. You • Free. This is an event you won't want to miss. With live music, food and activities, there really is something for everyone. You can walk, jog, run, or be a cheerleader! It's not a race; you compete against a goal you set for yourself at registration. Join us on June 1, 2013 on the Roanoke River Greenway. Learn more at www.mmmove.org, and register at http://bit.ly/MMMOVE2013.
Do you have an item to post in COMMUNITY EVENTS? Please submit your information ready to post with complete contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cheer on the Salem Red Sox on April 27th at 6 p.m. as they take on the Lynchburg Hillcats. Come early and watch Dr. Sandel throw out the first pitch. Employees and students get in free with a current Virginia Western ID.