January 15, 2013
Workforce Development http://virginiawestern.edu/workforce/classes/index.php
VWCC Summer 2013 KIDS College (summer camps) - More details to be announced soon!
QuickBooks for Business (ACC 295) Class #23347 (1 credit) - This in-depth workshop will help you succeed! - Tips and tricks for using QuickBooks to manage your accounting records, freeing up time for you to grow your business. Are you a small business owner who would like to learn computerized accounting? Have you been using QuickBooks and would like to learn how to use it better? (Qualifies as 16 CPE credits) Instructor: Katherine "Kitty" Pride, CPA Class Dates: Friday evenings 5:30pm – 10:00pm – January 18, 25 and February 1, 2013 http://virginiawestern.edu/workforce/classes/quickbooks.php Contact: Paulette Parkhill 540-857-6514 firstname.lastname@example.org
MS Office Skills – The Next Level (ITEC 2348) – Class to be held at the Franklin Center, Rocky Mount. - Learning key tips and tricks can greatly improve your efficiency and productivity. Numerous shortcuts, WORD 2010 ribbon basics, quick access toolbar, pictures, adding borders and shading paragraphs, mail merge the easy way. EXCEL 2010 ribbon basics, quick access toolbar, removing duplicates in lists, formulas and filters. Instructor: Jo Smith Class Dates: Thursday evenings 6:00pm – 9:00pm – January 24 – January 31, 2013 (Be sure to register early)Contact Paulette Parkhill (540) 857-6514 email@example.com
Intermediate AutoDesk Revit (CADD 2152) 8 week course (30 hrs) Class Number: 68271 Class Dates: Mondays 6:00-10:00pm - 2/25/13-4/15/13. Contact Paulette Parkhill firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.virginiawestern.edu/workforce/classes/intrevitarch.php
Project Management Refresher Course (BUSC 2510) Class #68831 01/24/13 - 02/14/13 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM Class is designed for the students who have already completed the PMP Exam Prep class and wish to review the body of knowledge prior to testing. Cost $83 Instructor: Darryl Agee. For more details: Contact Paulette Parkhill email@example.com
Project Management Exam Prep Course (BUSC 2507) Class #68832 02/28/13 - 05/2/13 - 6:00 PM - 9:30 PM This course is designed to introduce students to the concepts of project management as defined within PMI.org, the accreditation body for project management. Instructor Darryl Agee. http://www.virginiawestern.edu/workforce/classes/pmpcert.php For more details: Contact Paulette Parkhill firstname.lastname@example.org
SAT Test Prep Course - Building Skills for Better Scores (TEST 2400) 6 Week Classes meet on: Tuesday and Friday afternoons from 4:30pm to 6:30pm Spring Session Dates: Option 1: 1/28/13 - 3/8/13 and Option 2: 3/12/13 - 5/3/13. Follow link for more details: http://virginiawestern.edu/workforce/classes/satprep.php http://www.virginiawestern.edu/classes/scheduleDetail.php?subject=TEST&asubject=SAT Preparation&term=2132&longterm=Spring 2013&bookstoreTermID=2132&shortTerm=Spring
Contact Paulette Parkhill email@example.com
VWCC Summer 2013 KIDS College (summer camps) - More details to be announced soon!
The QEP made great progress in the fall 2012 semester as noted in the December 5, 2012 bulletin. The last noteworthy item from fall 2012 was that our QEP title was selected: “Navigate-Get THERE through Team Advising“. This title was selected in mid-December 2012 through a survey.
Several updates are listed below:
- A preliminary overview document can be found at http://www.virginiawestern.edu/about/ie/sacs.php.
- The IA Committee has developed a student logo contest. The winner of this contest will be announced at Spring Fling. This committee is also developing a short-term marketing plan to assist the QEP efforts.
- Various teams and committees will continue to work on the QEP this semester.
- The next SACS/QEP update session will be held in mid to late February.
If you have questions, suggestions, or concerns related to the QEP, please feel free to contact Kristel Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-857-6218.
The Educational Foundation has several options to help students who may need financial assistance, thanks to your contributions to the Employee Giving Campaign.
For ALL Educational Foundation Student Assistance Programs, a student must have a minimum 2.0 GPA and be enrolled in six (6) credits or more to receive funding.
EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION BOOK FUND - These funds are designed to help students purchase textbooks. These funds DO NOT assist students with required items for classes such as art supplies, knives, or other equipment. The application is available on the Educational Foundations VWConnect page.
- Request for funding should come to the Educational Foundation from the student's professor or counselor -- NOT THE STUDENT. The maximum award may not exceed $400. The Educational Foundation began processing book fund applications on Monday, January 14.
- The form must be completed by the student and by YOU, the student's Virginia Western professor or counselor.
- The student must also write a letter of thanks addressed to the Educational Foundation Board noting how these funds will help him/her meet his/her goals.
- Please FAX this completed form AND the letter of thanks to the Educational Foundation at 857.6370.
- Once completed, submit the application to a member of the Student Emergency Fund Advisory Council – Lori Baker, Gloria Lindsay, Avis Quinn or Chad Sartini. The advisory council member will send the completed form to the Educational Foundation.
- Students will pick up textbooks from the Virginia Western Campus Bookstore and must bring one form of photo I.D.(ex. Driver's license or VWCC I.D).
EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION STUDENT EMERGENCY FUND - These funds are designed to address exceptional financial hardship faced by new and continuing Virginia Western students that could affect their continuing education. Examples of types of emergencies to consider: house fire, medical issues, assistance with temporary housing for a student left homeless, etc. These funds are limited, so please carefully consider each student’s request.
- The application for Student Emergency Funds is available on the Educational Foundation’s VWConnect page. Emergency Fund application requests may be made for up to $500. Requests for food gift cards may be made for up to $100. Requests for gas gift cards may be made for up to $50. A student may only apply once for emergency funds within a semester and for only one type of assistance, so please consider which type of funding would best help the student.
- The Educational Foundation began processing emergency fund applications on Monday, January 14.
- The student must complete the Student Information section on the reverse side of the application, and attach copies of the bill(s) to be paid, if applicable.
- The student’s instructor/counselor must complete the Instructor/Counselor Recommendation section on the reverse side of the application.
- Once completed, submit the application to a member of the Student Emergency Fund Advisory Council – Lori Baker, Meg Patterson, Gloria Lindsay or Avis Quinn. The advisory council member will send the completed form to the Educational Foundation.
- The Educational Foundation will contact the advisory council member once the application is processed.
Please contact Carolyn Payne with any questions: email@example.com or 857-6371.
Thank you for all you do to support our students!
To all VWCC Employees:
The Office of Fleet Management has announced an increase in the personal mileage rate from .555 to .565 beginning January 1, 2013. Employees who travel on state business when a state vehicle is not available or accessible or when use of the employee’s vehicle is considered cost beneficial to the state are entitled to the .565 mileage reimbursement rate. The fleet rate of .246 remains unchanged.
For employees that travel after January 1, 2013, please use the new form available on VW Connect. The new form is titled Travel Reimbursement Form (effective January 1, 2013) and is available by clicking on the Financial and Administrative Services link and then clicking on Travel on the left-hand side of the webpage. The old Travel Reimbursement Form (effective July 1, 2011) will remain on the webpage for the next month so that employees that travel prior to January 1, 2013 can still submit travel vouchers on the old form.
If there are any questions regarding the change, please let me know.
Cheryl C. Miller,