CHILDREN, NOTES & BOOKS
WHEN: Wednesday, February 6; 1:00 p.m.
WHERE: Webber Hall 307
FACILITATOR: Ms. Edna Whittier
This session will discuss studying with and around children, textbook studying techniques and note-taking skills, including math and science subjects.
PLEASE ENCOURAGE YOUR STUDENTS TO ATTEND THESE VERY USEFUL HOT TOPIC SESSIONS. If you would like to offer extra credit to students, they will be given an “extra credit ticket” as verification of their attendance to bring back to class.
Dr. Gloria Lindsay
Chapman Hall, Room 105
Please take a moment to stop by the IEO to say farewell to Jordan Leet. Jordan has been offered a wonderful position outside of the college. While I am deeply saddened that he is leaving, I am thrilled that he has such an exciting opportunity. For the past five years, Jordan has worked at Virginia Western in FMS, Student Activities, and most recently in the IEO. We appreciate his dedication to the college and we will miss him greatly. Please join Carol and me in wishing Jordan all the best as he begins his new job next week.
Friday, February 1, 2013
- Free Wine Tasting@ Mr. Bills (4-7p.m.) Stop by, enjoy a free tasting and talk to the experts at Mr. Bill’s on Brambleton Avenue.
- Axis 5 @ Breaktime in the Days Inn on Plantation Road (9 pm till close) Join our own Bill East for some great music!
- Winter Wonderland Getaway (11am–9pm)@Chateau Morrisette Enjoy a Château Morrisette dinner on Friday evening, a complimentary winery tour and wine tasting and Friday night’s lodging at a participating lodging facility. For more info – www.thedogs.com
- Free Weekly Beer Tasting (5pm – 8pm) @ Wine Gourmet
- 2013 Kazim Shrine Circus (7:30pm) @ Roanoke Civic Center. For more info – www.roanokeciviccenter.com
Saturday, February 2, 2013
Sunday, January 20, 2013
Monday, February 4, 2013
- Monday Fun--‐Day! (6pm-???) @ TBA. Come out and start off the week the right way with a drink and some good food. This is a great way to meet new people and hang with old ones. For more info hit me up. For more info about this group --‐ http://on.fb.me/IdeWTZ
The Blue Stars Women's Basketball team plays tonight against Bennett College at 7:00 PM. Come support your student-athletes!
Want to make your own scarf ?
Monday, February 4 and Monday, February 11
2 pm to 4 pm
Thomas Center, Room 205
Learn the basics of crochet by making a scarf and flower pin! Supplies and instructor will be provided in this two-week session. Free for VW students, faculty and staff! Sign up in advance to participate!
Sponsored by Student Activities. For more information, contact Natasha Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org or 857-6326.
Virginia Western Family Bowling Night!
Friday, February 8
All you can bowl from 5pm to 8 pm
Family Bowling Night! Sign up for this fun, all you can bowl evening!
Event includes bowling, lane and shoe rental. Does not include any food or beverages. Participants must have their own transportation to the bowling alley. Limited number of spots available. Sign up with Student Activities to reserve your spot.
$5 deposit required at time of signup (refunded upon arrival to event).
Trip: American Shakespeare Center in Staunton, Virginia to see Julius Caesar
Thursday, February 7
Depart VWCC at 8 am
Link to show: http://www.americanshakespearecenter.com/v.php?pg=1367
Trip includes transportation and ticket. Limited spots available, sign up in advance with Student Activities in Thomas Center, Room 208 or 210. $5 deposit required at time of sign up (returned upon arrival to event – instant lunch money!) We will stop for a quick lunch after the -performance.
Contact Natasha Lee at email@example.com for more information.
Virginia Western Community College Blood Drive!
Wednesday, February 6
11 a.m. until 4 p.m.
Parking lot 1 in front of the Natural Science Center
Free stuff for presenting donors
Contact Lori Mier or Natasha Lee in student activities or log on to www.redcrossblood.org sponsor code 35625 to schedule an appointment
The Blackboard Innovative Teaching Series (BITS) is a training initiative which offering a serial of training webinars. BITS is free to Blackboard users and is easy to participate. The program consists of weekly faculty training webinars that are taught by faculty from different schools and supported by Blackboard experts.
Here are some of the sample topics:
- From the Beginning: Setting up Your Blackboard Learn Course, February 4th at 11am ET
- Meet the Grade Center, February 11th at 1pm ET
- The Rewards of Rubrics, February 18th at 2pm ET
- Getting Started with Publisher Content, February 25th at 1pm ET
- Maximizing Student Engagement Through My Blackboard, March 7th at 1pm ET
- Creating Tests, Pools, and Surveys, April 8th at 11am ET
For more information and register for the events: http://www.blackboard.com/Platforms/Learn/Resources/Webinars.aspx
Department of Distance Learning & Instructional Technology