The STAFF SENATE will meet Wednesday Oct 10th from 10:30-11:30 AM. Please note that this meeting will be on North Campus in the HR/Workforce Training Room of Fishburn Hall. Topics include updates from around campus and important information from Human Resources.
October 8, 2012
The purpose of the Virginia Western Archives is to preserve a historical record of the college. Brown Library houses the Archives and maintains an Archives web page with a searchable inventory of the archived items. Examples of materials contained in the archives include: college catalogs from 1966 forward, newsletters, photographs, employee directories, marketing materials, playbills and posters representing 45 years of the VWCC Theatre, committee minutes, and student projects.
We rely on your contributions of historical and new documents and materials to ensure that the Archives reflects an accurate history of the college’s programs and accomplishments. Please remember to send us relevant information on student organizations, pictures from events, newsletters, brochures, reports, and other materials as they are produced.
The Archives may be accessed during the regular library hours of operation. Materials preserved in the Archives are non-circulating, but we can make copies of certain items. For more information about the Archives, please contact Faith Janney (fjanney at virginiawestern.edu or 540-857-6332).
Looking for lunch? Check Out Rock & Roll Diner!
Food Truck - on campus, behind Humanities and Duncan! All scratch made daily! Monday through Thursday - 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The Rock & Roll Diner does take debit/credit cards.
Check out the menu:
Sandwiches, Subs and Such:
- 1/3lb Diner Burger or Chicken on a Bun - $4.50
- Cheese Steak Sub - 5" $5.95 10" $7.95
- Love Grilled Cheese - $4.95
- BBQ Chicken Tacos - 2 for $4.95, 3 for $6.25
- Chicken Salad BLT - $5.50
- Glad All Over (Grilled Chicken and Penne Pasta) - $5.95
- Hatch Mac and Cheese Entree - $3.95
- Black Beans and Rice - Only $1.00!
- Homefries - $1.50
- Hatch Mac and Cheese - $2.00
Notch Yo Truck!:
- Texas Nachos - $5.25 (Chips smothered in refried beans, onions, jalapenos, melted cheddar/jack cheese, served w/sour cream)
- Velvet Nachos - $4.50 (Chips smothered in melted queso)
- Chips and Queso - $3.95 (Served separately for dippers and dunkers)
Pursuant with Public Law 107-51 Lowering of Flag in Honor of National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service, this is to order that the flags of the United States of America and the Commonwealth of Virginia are to be flown at half-staff on all local, state, and federal buildings and grounds in the Commonwealth of Virginia in respect and memory of our nation’s fallen firefighters on Sunday, October 7, 2012.
I hereby order that the flags shall be lowered at sunrise on Sunday, October 7, 2012, and remain at half-staff until sunset.
Ordered on this the 5th day of October, 2012.
Robert F. McDonnell
The application (2013 Faculty & Staff Innovation Grant Application) to apply for Educational Foundation 2013 faculty and staff innovation grants is now available. The deadline to apply for a 2013 grant is November 2, 2012. These grants are offered by the Educational Foundation to encourage academic enrichment activities. Faculty and staff should consider proposing innovative projects, novel approaches, and creative activities that support the College’s vision statement:
"As a student-oriented center for lifelong learning, Virginia Western Community College
will meet the needs of our diverse community by providing comprehensive
educational programs and workforce development."
Scholarship & CCAP Coordinator
Flu shots are now available through the Commonwealth of Virginia Flu Shot Program. Flu shots can be administered for free utilizing your prescription or health insurance coverage in one of three ways:
- By participating pharmacies – for pharmacy listings go to www.dhrm.state.va.us. (Flu shots administered by a non-participating pharmacy or a third party vendor will not be covered.)
- By your doctor’s office – covered as part of your wellness benefit under your health insurance (COVA Care or Anthem HDHP)
- On-site at Virginia Western Community College by appointment:
Human Resources/Workforce Development Training Room, Fishburn Hall
Friday, October 12, 2012
8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- All employees, their spouses, children of employees, and retirees are welcome!
- Children under the age 18 do not need a prescription.
- Plan members who bring a COVA Care plan ID card, Anthem plan ID card (for HDHP), or Medicare card (retirees) will receive flu shots at no cost!
- There is a $25.00 charge per vaccine for employees without insurance.
Appointments will be made in five (5) minute intervals. Please arrive five (5) minutes early to allow time for forms completion.
Contact Denise Schuh for an appointment at either 857-7962 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, October 12, 2012
9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Fishburn Hall – HR Testing Room
Sign up today by registering at www.tiaa-cref.org/letstalk1, or call 1-866-843-5640 Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
TIAA-CREF’s individual counseling session will help you answer these questions:
- Are you setting realistic goals for key life events and retirement?
- Can you better balance your spending priorities to help you save more for your financial goals?
- What investment mix and strategy is best for you to increase your portfolio’s potential, including, protecting against cost-of-living increases?
- What retirement income options best fit your situation?
If you have any questions, contact Denise Schuh at 857-7962.
The Armed Forces Student Association will be planting a flag garden in the Arboretum in honor of Remembrance Day. One flag will be planted for each soldier that has been killed in theater since 9/11. This will be a fund and awareness-raising event. $1 will plant 1 flag. Proceeds will be donated to Bentley Conrad, 1-year-old son of Sgt. TJ Conrad.
Sgt. Conrad was killed in Afghanistan during a demonstration over the burning of Qurans earlier this year. His wife Holly moved to the Roanoke area so Bentley would grow up with his father’s family. We want to show them that we have not forgotten the sacrifices they have all made for our country.
Donations are being accepted on an on-going basis. There is a collection jar in the financial aid office, and more will be popping up around campus. We are planning to have all the flags planted during the entire month of November.
Donations may be made in honor or memory of any soldier, from any conflict. These particular donations will be recognized on a memorial wall in Chapman Hall, also during November.
For more information, please contact Michele Hilts at 857-7395 or email@example.com.
Please note the following message from VCCS:
Blackboard will be unavailable during the standard outage window on Thursday, October 11, from 12:00 AM through 4:00 AM. Engineers will be performing important maintenance on the Blackboard system.
This fall the time will change, the weather will change and the leaves will change, but the need for blood will not change. Help support local hospitals and patients this season by donating blood and be the change that helps save local lives.
TODAY - Monday, October 8
9:00am – 2:00pm
Natural Science Center
Sign up online at www.vadonor.com
For more information, contact Natasha Lee at 857-6326 or firstname.lastname@example.org.