Faculty - as you meet with students for the last time of the semester, please remind graduating students to call the Graduation Voice Mail, 857-6699, so that your dean can make sure to pronounce students' name correctly. Thank you!
April 30, 2012
VWCC Employment Opportunities
Human Resources is currently accepting applications for the following positions:
Dean, School of Science, Mathematics, and Health Professions - Deadline: 05/04/2012 by 5:00pm (EST)
Facilities Project Coordinator - Deadline: 05/14/2012 by 5:00pm (EST)
Food for Thought Program Manager (Part-time) - Deadline: 05/11/2012 by 5:00pm (EST)
Practical Nursing Instructor (LPN Program) - Deadline: 05/14/2012 by 5:00pm (EST)
We are also accepting applications for the following part-time, adjunct faculty teaching disciplines:
- Applied Physics
- Art History
- Public Speaking
- Radiography (Clinical Instructor)
For more details about our application process and/or to complete an online application, please visit our website: www.virginiawestern.edu/hr and select “CAREER OPENINGS”. Feel free to contact HR, 857.7282, with any questions.
- Graduation Video Shoot, 5/1, 5-7 p.m., Pedestrian Bridge
- Regional Academy Graduation, 5/3, 5 p.m., Natural Science Center
- Practical Nursing Capping Ceremony, 5/4, 11 a.m., Whitman Theater
- Practical Nursing Pinning Ceremony, 5/10, 11 a.m., Whitman Theater
- Nursing Pinning Ceremony, 5/10, 6:30 p.m. Charter Hall, Roanoke City Market Building
- Dental Hygiene Pinning Ceremony, 5/11, 11 a.m., Whitman Theater
- 46th Commencement Ceremony, 5/11, 6:30 p.m., Salem Civic Center
- Radiology Pinning Ceremony, 6/14, 7 p.m., Whitman Theater
- Dean’s Meeting, 5/1, 2-5 p.m., President’s Conference Room
- Health Benefits Open Enrollment Meeting, 5/2, 2 -5 p.m. Whitman Theater
Due to the ODMA Car Show which will be held on campus this Saturday, May 5th, parking lot 7 and 9 will be blocked off beginning Thursday evening. The section of lot 7 that will be blocked DOES NOT include the section directly in front of Webber Hall.
As of May 5, 2012 all food vendors on campus, Domino's; Java the Hutt; and Quickee Dog will no longer be serving food for the summer break. They will all be back on campus on August 22, 2012. Please utilize the bookstore, vending machines and self serve in the Library for your snack and beverage items.
April 27, 2012
WEST SIDE STORY- Come see a Romeo and Juliet story set in New York in the 1960’s. Two gangs the Sharks and the Jets fighting and two lovers caught in the middle. Featuring classic songs such as America, I feel Pretty, and Maria.
Patrick Henry High School Auditorium.
April 27, April 28, May 4, May 5
Time: 7:30 Admission: Students $5; All others $10
Friday, April 27th, 2012
- Free Beer Tasting – Dogfish Head (4 – 7 p.m.) @ Mr. Bill’s Wine Cellar http://bit.ly/Dogfishhead
- Band Night (4 – 8 p.m.) @ Valhalla Winery www.valhallawines.com
- Free Weekly Beer Tasting (5 – 8 p.m.) @ Wine Gourmet
- Salem After Five (5:30 – 9 p.m.) @ Salem Farmer’s Market http://www.salemva.gov/news/index.html
- 57th Annual Vinton Dogwood Festival (6 – 10 p.m.) @ Vinton http://www.vintondogwoodfestival.org/
- Salem Red Sox vs. Carolina Mud Cats (7:05 p.m.) @ Lewis Gale Field www.salemredsox.com
Saturday, April 28th, 2012
- Community Yard Sale at Georgetown Park (off Colonial Avenue) (4/28)
- Colonial Presbyterian Church Yard & Bake Sale, 4/28, 8 a.m. – 2p.m. all proceeds go to mission and outreach projects. 3550 Poplar Drive, off Colonial Avenue, between Ogden Road and Rt. 419.
- Spectacular Saturdays at the Taubman@ Taubman Museum www.taubmanmuseum.org
- Physicians on Foot (8:30 a.m.) @ Roanoke River Greenway www.carilionclinic.org/walking
- 57th Annual Vinton Dogwood Festival (8:30 a.m. – 11 p.m.) @ Vinton http://www.vintondogwoodfestival.org/
- The Open Studios Tour 2012 (10 a.m. – 5 p.m.) www.openstudiosofroanoke.com
- City Market Saturdays (11 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.) @ Downtown Roanoke www.downtownroanoke.org
- Free Weekly Wine Tasting (12 p.m. – 5 p.m.) @ Wine Gourmet
- Counterbalance Art Festival (1 p.m.) @ First St & Kirk Ave and Dumas Center
- Salem Red Sox vs. Carolina Mud Cats (6:05 p.m.) @ Lewis Gale Field www.salemredsox.com
- 11th Annual Puppy Love Ball (6:30 p.m.) @ Hotel Roanoke http://rvspca.org/Puppy‐love‐ball
Sunday, April 29th, 2012
- The Open Studios Tour 2012 (noon – 5 p.m.) www.openstudiosofroanoke.com
- Counterbalance Art Festival (1 p.m. ) @ First St & Kirk Ave and Dumas Center
- 57th Annual Vinton Dogwood Festival (1 - 6 p.m.) http://www.vintondogwoodfestival.org/
- Salem Red Sox vs. Carolina Mud Cats (4:05 p.m.) @ Lewis Gale Field www.salemredsox.com FREE ADMISSION WITH YOUR VIRGINIA WESTERN ID!
- West End Community Market (3 – 6 p.m.) 5/1 @ West End Center
- Super Hold (also featuring Dave) will be at First Fridays (5/4) 6 p.m.
- A Derby Party benefiting Unbridled Change, 5/4, 3 -7 p.m. @ 202 Market http://on.fb.me/DerbyParty
THE ANNUAL FORT LEWIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PTA SPRING BBQ AND AUCTION -Bring your family and friends to an evening of great food, fun and the opportunity to bid on some fantastic items on Friday, May 4th. Our live and silent auction will include such items as hot air balloon rides, VT football tickets, hand-crafted fine jewelry and more! Dinner will be served! For just $5.00 per person, get BBQ or a hot dog, cole slaw, potato salad, baked beans, chips and a drink. Our bake sale will offer some of the tastiest, homemade treats around. There will also be free, supervised kid activities. The Dinner and Silent Auction begin at 5:30pm. The Live Auction begins at 6:30pm. Visit our Facebook Page for additional information.
HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS PHYSICALS – May 3, Cave Spring High School, 6-8 p.m., $15, bring a VHSL Sports Physical Form with pages 1, 2 and 4 completed and signed by a parent.
Students cannot tryout, practice or play without a current physical form on file. Separate examination is required for each school year and must be completed between May 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013 for the 2012-2013 school year.
FOR SALE –
- Whirpool large capacity 10 cycle washer,5 cycle dryer, matching set , white, PICK UP ONLY $400 O.B.O. (gas dryer)
- Goldstar 21" screen color Television. $40 O.B.O. Great picture!
Contact Mellisa May, MBA, Adjunct Faculty, Liberal Arts Department Office hours:100A Gymnasium: (Fri 9am-10am), Cell: (540) 206-5532
LAND'S SAKE 2012! A FREE educational event about fields, forests and farms in Floyd, Virginia with over 35 people presenting information, demonstration and conversation. Topics range from organic gardening and soil testing to bee keeping and mushroom hunting. There will be a green machine expo with electric vehicles, a draft horse team and lots of good local food to eat. May 5, 2012, 9:30 - 3:00 at the Floyd County High School, 721 Baker Street, Floyd VA Come for an hour or a day. Learn from people who live what they teach. For more information see http://floyd-landsake.blogspot.com/ or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have a church bazaar, yard sale, or item for sale? Submit COMMUNITY NEWS items to email@example.com
When the announcement about the Cooperative Learning Institute at Patrick Henry Community College ran here in the Bulletin, I was not aware that VWCC was not included the Tobacco Footprint Region. The workshop is only free to those colleges covered by the grant. The fee to attend is $250. I apologize for the inconvenience that this caused for faculty who were interested in attending.
The Baja team has been hard at work on the 2012 competition car. Come out and support them as they unveil the new car and sell hamburgers, hot dogs, barbecue sandwiches and homemade desserts!
- 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Friday, April 27th
- Webber Hall - 1st floor plaza outdoors
Come out and support the team!
Western Greenhouse is busting at the seams with annual bedding plants, vegetable plants and herb plants. We have Vinca, Marigold, Petunia, Coleus and Dianthus just to name a few. We also have perennials available ready for planting in your landscape. Stop by the greenhouse this week to check out the plants available for your garden.
Spring Plant Sale
Wednesday, April 25, 9 - 11 AM
Thursday, April 26, 9 - 11 AM
Friday, April 27, 9 - 11 AM
Saturday, April 28, 9 - 11 AM
10" Hanging Basket Combos $10.00 each, Cell pack Annuals and Vegetable Plants $1.75 each,
2.5" Vegetable Plants $.75 each, 4.5" Premium Annuals $2.75 each
Hope to see you at the sale.
Thank you for supporting the Horticulture Club and the Community Arboretum
Youth as young as 12 are trying or using prescription drugs to get high or self-medicating." Pharmaceuticals are often more available to teens because they can be taken from the medicine cabinet at home. Because these drugs are so readily available, many teens believe they are a safe way to get high. Moreover, not many parents are talking to their youth about the risks and dangers of taking non-prescribed prescription drugs.
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), every day 2,500 youth age 12 to 17 abuse a pain reliever for the first time. And, more teens abuse prescription drugs than any illicit drug except marijuana. In 2008, more than 2.1 million teens ages 12 to 17 reported using prescription drugs to get high. Also, many teens report mixing prescription drugs and alcohol. Using these drugs in combination can cause respiratory failure and death.
Prescription drug and medication abuse is a significant public health issue. They are easily accessible and often kept in the medicine cabinet long after they are needed, making them available to people who might misuse or abuse them. Medications should always be made hard to find or kept in a locked cabinet. One way to reduce accessibility is to properly dispose of them in a safe and environmentally friendly manner.
Please collect your unused and expired medications and bring them to one of the following locations. Participating in the DEA National Drug Take-Back event instead of leaving medications unsecured your home or flushing them down the toilet will help prevent drug abuse and protect our valley’s waterways.
Saturday, April 28, 10a.m. – 2 p.m. at the following locations:
- Roanoke Civic Center
- K-Mart on Main Street in Salem
- Kroger in Daleville
- Kroger at Tanglewood Mall
- Roanoke County Public Safety Building on Cove Road
- Roanoke County Fire Station #1 on Hershberger Road
- Kroger on Hardy Road in Vinton