BRAIN PATTERN STUDY
The Human Neuroimaging Laboratory at Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute (VTCRI) located in Roanoke, Virginia would like to invite you to participate in a variety of groundbreaking studies!
- Eligibility: healthy adults, age 18-64
- Compensation: at least $20.00
- Primary goal: To study the response of the normal brain to patterns of stimuli, rewards, and decision-making
- Institute sponsor: Human Neuroimaging Laboratory labs.vtc.vt.edu/hnl
- Study timeframe/duration: 1-3 hours per visit
If you are interested in volunteering, please visit: http://vtcri.info/jkzexq
To contact us via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; or call 540-526-2034
The Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute is conducting a brain imaging study on cigarette smokers. Eligible participants must meet the following criteria:
- Current smokers, age 18-55
- Smoke at least 5 cigarettes per day
- Have been smoking for the past year
You will be compensated for your time. Eligible participants typically make $50 for the first session and $30 for the second session, with the potential to earn an additional $75. We have two locations, Blacksburg and Roanoke, and scheduling is very flexible to best accommodate your schedule. If interested, please contact Andre at 540-526-2068 email@example.com for more information.
OEF/OIF VETERANS NEEDED FOR FMRI STUDIES
- Deployment impacts veterans in many ways
- We use new FMRI technology to understand how deployment can affect the biology of the brain
- Have the study described and questions answered by study staff before deciding to participate
- Participate in a videotaped interview about your life experiences
- Fill out some questionnaires
- Complete computer tasks during an fMRI scan which may include:
- Viewing positive, negative, & neutral images- including some that are combat related
- Playing simple computer games
- Be asked to provide a saliva sample for genetic analyses
- Receive a CD copy of your structural brain scan
- Be compensated $15 per hour for the interview & questionnaire session and $20 or more for the fMRI scan depending on how you play the game
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- OEF/OIF Veterans who are:
- Between 18 & 64 years old
- Free from metal in their body
- Not claustrophobic
(540) 526-2032, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://info.vtc.vt.edu/vets
DON’T LET ANYTHING STAND IN THE WAY…
…between you and your dreams of a college education
Scholarships Available Apply by May 17
The Virginia Western Educational Foundation has over $150,000 in scholarship funds available—based on academic excellence, financial need and specific programs—to help you reach your educational goals. You don’t have to qualify for financial aid to receive Educational Foundation scholarships.
Deadline: 4:00 p.m., May 17, 2013
Requirements: Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0, high school graduate or have a GED, and be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credits at Virginia Western in Fall 2012.
Many scholarships have additional requirements, so it is important to read each scholarship description carefully when applying.
To help meet educational expenses, Virginia Western Community College is pleased to participate in Nelnet’s tuition payment plan. For a non-refundable fee of $25.00, Nelnet allows monthly, interest-free tuition payments. The earlier students enroll the more payment options they may have. The payment plan for Summer 2013 began on April 12, 2013.
If a payment plan is not established or if tuition is not paid by May 2, 2013, students who registered early for classes will be dropped and will need to repeat the registration process. Financial Aid students are protected from enrollment cancellation up to the amount of their Financial Aid award. Financial Aid students should pay any differences between their total award and the amount due to prevent enrollment cancellation.
Payment plan sign-up instructions and deadlines will be posted on the Student Bulletin, Facebook, Twitter, www.virginiawestern.edu and on the VWtvs located across campus.
Step by step directions on how to enroll in a payment plan are available at http://www.virginiawestern.edu/studenthelp/student/tuitionpaymentplan.php
On April 26, 2013 at 2:00p.m, Domino's will close for the Summer. Also, Java The Hutt will close at 2:00p.m. as well. However, Java The Hutt will open for exams from M-Thurs from 7:00a.m to 12:30p.m.
Cheer on the Salem Red Sox on April 27th at 6 p.m. as they take on the Lynchburg Hillcats. Come early and watch Dr. Sandel throw out the first pitch. Employees and students get in free with a current Virginia Western ID.
Friday, April 26, 2013
Saturday, April 27, 2013
- Physicians on Foot (8:30am) @ The Greenway in front of Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. Numerous Carilion Clinic physicians are lacing up their walking shoes alongside the public in the "Physicians on Foot" weekly walking program. For info - www.carilionclinic.org/walking
- Vinton Dogwood Festival (8:30am – 10pm) @ Roanoke Co Central Middle School. For more info - www.vintondogwoodfestival.org/
- Workshop: Street Photography (10am –12pm) @ O’Winston Link Museum. For more info – www.downtownroanoke.org/do/workshop-street-photography
- Party For the Planet (11am – 4pm) @ Mill Mountain Zoo. Come celebrate Earth Day with a Party for the Planet. For more info – www.mmzoo.org
- City Market Saturdays (11am – 2:30pm) @ Downtown Roanoke. For more info - www.downtownroanoke.org
- Blacksburg Fork and Cork (12pm – 6pm) @ Downtown Roanoke. The Blacksburg Partnership presents Blacksburg Fork and Cork, A Food, Wine and Art festival. For more info - www.blacksburgforkandcork.com
- Rockin’ Brew’s & BBQ at SML (12pm – 6pm) @ Downton Moneta. Live music, beers and BBQ! For more info - www.visitsmithmountainlake.com/
- Free Weekly Wine Tasting (12pm – 5pm) @ Mr. Bill’s Wine Cellar
- Salem Red Sox vs. Lynchburg Hill Cats (6:05 pm – 9pm) @ Lewis Gale Field www.salemredsox.com. Arrive early to see Virginia Western President, Robert Sandel, throw out the first pitch. Get in free with your current Virginia Western ID.
- GLOBAL YOUTH SERVICE DAY For a list of all volunteer opportunities, please visit our website at www.fsrv.org/gysd
Sunday, April 28, 2013
EVERY WEDNESDAY ULTIMATE FRISBEE Roanoke Ultimate (Frisbee) Weekly Pickup - Every Wednesday, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm @ River's Edge Sport Complex South - Field 4. For info - www.roanokeultimate.com.
FORT LEWIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PTA CARNIVAL AND AUCTION is on Friday, May 3, 2013. There will both a silent and live auction. Live music will be provided by TRU GRIT. The festivities will begin at 5:30PM until ??. Dinner is $5 per person and activities are 4 tickets for $1. “All Inclusive” wristbands are also available. For additional information, and to see a listing of items being auctioned off, please visit (and like) the following Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/hjhm514#!/flescarnivalandauction
DODGEBALL TOURNAMENT May 4th at Cave Spring High School. $5 per player (8 min on team), $3 admission. All proceeds support Knights Booster Foundation Scholarships. Contact Karin Colozza (email@example.com) to sign up.
WOODBRIDGE NEIGHBORHOOD COMMUNITY YARD SALE is on Saturday, May 4, 2013. If you have not stopped by this MASSIVE neighborhood yard sale in the past, you will not want to miss it this year. Take Main Street in Salem, to Mill Lane (by Sheetz, across from Salem High School), and then follow the signs (or the cars) to this impressive event. The sale is from 8am until ????.
“MMMOVE” My Motivation Movement (MMMOVE) - It's about helping people connect with others in the Community, find joy in Fitness, and improve their Health. 3 Miles • You vs. You • Free. This is an event you won't want to miss. With live music, food and activities, there really is something for everyone. You can walk, jog, run, or be a cheerleader! It's not a race; you compete against a goal you set for yourself at registration. Join us on June 1, 2013 on the Roanoke River Greenway. Learn more at www.mmmove.org, and register at http://bit.ly/MMMOVE2013.
Do you have an item to post in COMMUNITY EVENTS? Please submit your information ready to post with complete contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.