To find books about photography, click on the books link from the sidebar on the right. Books on photography are in the TR section. Try the following call numbers to browse for books on specific topics.
- Digital Photography - TR 256, TR 267, TR 310
- Photographers - TR 647, TR 680, TR 681
- Photography - TR 145, TR 146
- Photojournalism - TR 820
This is a selected list of books about photography located in reference on the main floor.
- N 31.D5 The Dictionary of Art - While most art reference books only cover the fine arts, such as painting, sculpture, and architecture, the scope of this 34 volume set includes photography, performance art, and multimedia installations. Use the index to find information on a specific photographer or technique.
- N 8600.A746 Artist's & Graphic Designer's Market, 2000: 2,500 Places to Sell Your Art & Design. Articles include information on copyright, art licensing, and self-promotion. The markets covered include greeting cards, magazines, posters & prints, and book publishers.
- N 8600.C49 Artist's Resource: The Watson-Guptill Guide to Academic Programs, Artists Colonies and Artist-in-Residence Programs, Conferences and Workshops - Chapters cover becoming an artist, artists' programs, and the business of making art.
- P 87.5.W45 Webster's New World Dictionary of Media and Communications - Billed as the most comprehensive source for understanding the language of writers, communicators, and the media industries. Find definitions of photography terms such as ambrotype and aperture.
- P 92.U5H55 History of the Mass Media in the United States: An Encyclopedia - This encyclopedia features long articles on a limited number of topics. Specific articles of interest might include: Photographic Technology, Photography Awards, Photojournalism in the Nineteenth Century, and Photojournalism in the Twentieth Century. See page 519 for other photographic entries.
- TR 9.M39 The Photography Encyclopedia - Look up photographers and photography terms. Find awards, book reviews, films by or about photographers, galleries, manufacturers, museums, Pulitzer Prize winners, and a time line.
- TR 139.C663 Contemporary Photographers - Each biographical entry includes information on exhibitions, galleries that include the photographer's work, and a bibliography of books and articles by and about the photographer. In addition, living entrants have been invited to make a statement about their work and to include a representative photograph.
The periodicals are located on the main floor of Brown Library in the reference area. They are arranged in alphabetical order by title. Here are lists of titles on art, communication design, and photography.
Here are the best databases for finding periodical articles about photography. For more databases click on the Articles / Databases link from the right sidebar.
- Factiva - Includes a lot of newspaper sources. A good place to find interviews of living photographers, news on exhibits and new publications, and even a few biographical articles. A search on Ansel Adams produced 12,167 articles.
- EBSCO - This is the place to start for general research. This group of databases includes: Academic Search Complete, Communication and Mass Media Complete, Humanities International Complete, Masterfile Premier, Newspaper Source Plus, and more. Articles may be full-text, abstracts, or citations.
A subject search on Ansel Adams in all EBSCO databases produced 235 total articles out of which 91 articles were full-text.
- Project Muse - Current full-text journal articles in a wide variety of academic subjects. A search on Ansel Adams produced 59 articles.